PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on equipment for a 20 Long AIO

jauld
02/09/2010, 11:48 AM
At the moment I have a 37 gallon tall aquarium with a 15 gallon sump/fuge combo. It is my first tank and for some reason, it has just never been perfect. I have made the decision that, due to maintenance and problems with the tank I just can't figure out, I am going to tear down the tank and start a 20L AIO.

here is a list of equipment I have running on the current tank:
-ACjr temp, pH, dc8
-Two little fishes phosban reactor
-aqua c remora protein skimmer w/ maxi-jet 900
-2 koralia 2's
-20" 250 watt sunpod
-stealth 150 watt heater
-Autotopoff.com double float switch with aqualifter

I plan to use some of this stuff, but I'm not sure how applicable some of it will be to a tank half the size. I do want to have a mixed reef, but I definitely want to get into sps more. Here is what I plan to go with.
-ACjr
-keeping both the koralias, but ill have them oscillate on and off so that both are never running at the same time (20 minute intervals on each) will this be too much flow for a 20L?
-Thinking of trading out the aquac remora for a tunze 9002. I hear they are better, can anyone comment/confirm?
-In the chambers of the AIO, I plan to house the small tunze skimmer, a small fuge, and the return pump. I'll also do a small media rack for chemipure, carbon, ROWAphos ect... What size pump should I use for the AIO? I am going to have a ton of flow thanks to the koralias, so I was thinking maybe the Maxi-Jet 400 might be enough?
-For lighting I want to move away from the MH because I know heat will be an issue as I am not going to run a chiller. Also, I am intrigued by the LED option, but I like softies, zoa's, shrooms, and I think LED's will be a bit too powerful. I was thinking a current 4 x 24 sundial, 24" tek fixture (only if the sundial is in-efficient for sps), or a icecap retro as I will have a hutch on the tank. What do you think is the best bet in this area?

the reason I have decided to go with the AIO as apposed to a sump is, in my opinion, refugiums don't necessarily make a huge impact on nitrate reduction, I really like the AIO look and the fun DIY parts of it, and I want to use the stand to house reservoirs for dosing alk and Ca, and my top off water. I plan to do 5 gallon weekly water changes as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your insights.

here is the layout of the AIO im planning.
top view:
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q401/jauld2/20LAIO.png