PDA

View Full Version : my fish have ich HELP!!!!!!

closb841
02/09/2010, 01:03 PM
ok so heres the problem guys i have a a powder brown tang, sohal tang 2 percula clown fish and a imperator angel in my reef tank i know i know imperators arent really reef safe but im giving it a try. anyway all are doing fine in the tank other then my powder brown its has white spots all over its body the other fish do have some spots here and there but nothing like him. well i was just wondering what you guys recommend i was going to get a qt tank but dont have the room i was thinking about getting the reef safe ich treatment or a uv sterilizer what do you guys thinkg would be better for getting rid of ich? please let me know

RBU1
02/09/2010, 07:36 PM
If you look around you will see the answers to your questions. These questions seem to be asked very often. If you are not willing to remove and treat all your fish leaving your main tank fallow for 12 weeks you are just creating a time bomb.

psychostieg
02/09/2010, 10:37 PM
I agree..... every time I add a fish to my reef, I keep in mind that if they get sick.... they're probably going to die...... it just isn't worth treating any fish disease in a reef.
having said that, I would say that you have 24 hours from the first presentation of the disease to get those fish the heck out of the tank, I would first give them a dip in something like formalin formaledhyde treatment on their way into a quarantine tank that is loaded with copper sulfate. I would leave the fish in the qt for 8 weeks while a uv sterilizer is run on the reef. Over the 8 weeks, the parasites will go through their cycle and the tank should be safe to accept the fish back. Use your reefwater as your source of water for the qt tank so the fish arent shocked when they go back to your main tank.
It's quite the challenge...... ich and diseases are pretty much it if you see it on a fish. The ONLY way I have ever prevented a death from it is by getting the fish the heck out of the reef and into a qt tank with copper. BE CAREFUL not to get copper into your reef!!
Good luck.... may the force be with you...