PDA

View Full Version : Tank crash and fish behaviour/health

Navyblue
02/10/2010, 03:04 AM
I had a purple tang, bicolour angel and a one spotted foxface. The were buddies and hung out together. They were all algae grazers and would pick at rocks together.

One day, they decided to stop eating the algaes. I even starved them but they would rather go skinny than to touch the algaes. I thought may be the algaes absorbed those nasty chemicals from the corals and what not and made them noxious and unpalatable to the fishes.

Then my chiller went dead. One thing lead to another, I ended up with most of my corals dead and so are the bicolour angel and one spotted foxface.

However before even the water clears up completely, the purple tang, now alone, seems more lively than usual, started to pick on the algaes and actually got fatter. I also had a feeling that my clown pairs got somewhat livelier, but that may be because they feel more at ease with the big boys gone. In general I felt that the fishes, and the surviving invertebrates are healthier than before, even when the corals are still struggling.

I hope it in not some sort of post traumatic disorder with the tang going on an algae binge. :D Or may be my corrective actions for the tank crash somehow made the water better (even if it still looks cloudy and have not done my water change).

Anyone had a similar encounter? Or some sort of explanation?