PDA

View Full Version : Tank setup question!

dankoos
02/10/2010, 08:42 AM
Ok, I am almost finally ready to get water in my FOWLR tank (yes, I am using RO/DI water). I am getting live rock from a local source who aquacultures it himself from lacerock. If I put that rock into my tank w/ RODI water, will my tank cycle? I wouldn't think so since the rock will have no die-off. If that is the case, should I do the raw shrimp thing to get it to cycle?

Equipment:

90gal tank
Octopus 110 skimmer
Sump
6500k + acintic T5 ligting (four total bulbs)

LilRobb
02/10/2010, 08:46 AM
I hope you meant RODI+Salt when you said RODI...

dankoos
02/10/2010, 08:47 AM
being I am in a saltwater forum, I figured that point would be assumed, but thanks :)

LilRobb
02/10/2010, 08:53 AM
Just making sure,
whether it will cycle or not will depend on how long the rock is exposed to air - I say go with the shrimp, rather safe than sorry...

Sk8r
02/10/2010, 08:57 AM
It also works just to put a micropinch of fishfood in daily until you get ammonia.

Flying_Hellfish
02/10/2010, 09:00 AM
When I setup my tank a few months back I got LR from a local source. The LR was in a huge tub attached to a live system. The rock was put it 2 5gal buckets along with some water from the tub the rock was in.

Even with all that my tank did take a small cycle. Ammonia and nitrite were down to 0 within 7-10 days.

Just be patient and test every day and you will be able to tell if it is going to cycle or not. I know this is said over and over and for someone new to the hobby it is hard to be patient, but in the end you will be glad you were.

jubelale
02/10/2010, 01:19 PM
I bought the Bulk Reef Supply Pukani dry rock and had a full cycle of 4 weeks. If it is aquacultured I would not worry about adding any shrimp as it is already cycled through the aquaculture.

Michael
02/10/2010, 03:10 PM
a pinch of flake every day for 2-3 days and test for ammonia, theres no other way to know if the rock has sufficient bacteria to combat ammonia or not. if ammonia becomes evident then disappears your fine, if it sticks around for a while you need to get the tank cycling and a raw mashed up shrimp is the way to go, dont add damsels please.