PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on protein skimmer

reeftanknewbie
02/10/2010, 12:06 PM
I have a 55 gallon cubed tank with 70+ pounds of live rock, 50lbs of live sand, a large HOB refugium, Fluval canister filter, Seio M1100 power head, and one other power head (can't remember what kind but is around 600-800gph), I have power compact lighting (130 watts) for now and am currently using a red sea prizm pro skimmer. I want to find the best skimmer I can find for my tank that is a HOB as my current skimmer is currently on the front of my tank and a bit of an eye sore. Looking for suggestions, pictures of other's set ups, ratings, etc.....:spin3:

iluzhun
02/10/2010, 01:13 PM
I run an Eshopps 100H on my 110 tall. It works great. I have read only good reviews and I couldn't beat the price (under $150). They mkake a 75 HOT version as well. here is the thread for their fan club. It has some good info expierences and pics. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708524

IslandCrow
02/10/2010, 03:10 PM
The Reef Octopus HOB skimmer is supposed to be quite good as well. I was always happy with my Octopus DNW-110, but that's an in-sump skimmer.

Chiefsurfer
02/10/2010, 09:27 PM
with HOB, without spending the money on a deltec, the eshopps and reefoctopus are excellent choices. For that tank, depending on the size of the refugium, I would go with the 100H for a size. Might be a little overpoweref, but I'd rather be over than under. Then I would work on saving up for a nice t5ho upgrade to those lights. Before you go doing any of this you might think about the possabilities of upcoming upgrades in tank size. If this is possible for you in the semi-near future, I might look into over-sizing even more.

poolkeeper1
02/10/2010, 09:36 PM
Super reef octopus hang on, You wont be sorry!
Bill

mr9iron
02/10/2010, 09:43 PM
poolkeeper, do you have any experience with the SRO HOB skimmers? Im looking at the LX1000 for my nanocube.

reeftanknewbie
02/11/2010, 05:30 AM
Great responses and recommendations...thanks to all...I have started doing research into the skimmers you suggested. I am planning to go larger in size (up to 100 gallons) so that if I upgrade I don't have to start over. Does anyone have pics of there octopus or eshopps running? Also just curious what people think of my current skimmer (it's ok to be honest, I don't think it works well at all).

iluzhun
02/11/2010, 09:57 AM
Eshopps has both their own forum http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=606

And a fan club thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708524

Both have lots of info, user expierences and pictures.

Chiefsurfer
02/11/2010, 10:09 AM
if you look up my 20-gallon build thread in the nano forum, I believe I have pics of my skimmate in there. The eshopps really does quite well from experience, although it is my first tank, and only skimmer, so I really have nothing to compare to. -RyKnow also uses the eshopps, and I believe he also has pics of his skimmate on his build thread, also in the nano forums.

Jhutto
02/11/2010, 11:33 AM
look at turbo floater from AquaMedic...good for that size tank.

reeftanknewbie
02/12/2010, 10:38 PM
With so many choices and differences in options....I admit I am a bit lost...looks like I have to do my homework. I have seen several people complain about the impeller wheel on the Eshopps skimmers. all seem to be around the same price.

iluzhun
02/12/2010, 11:14 PM
I haveheard of some problems with the impellers on the Eshopps. I have also seen Eshopps be very helpful in solving these problems. I however have had no problem with mine. I have tried a few other skimmers and have by far been happiest with the Eshopps.

cveverly
02/12/2010, 11:16 PM
If I were my choice I would seriously consider the Super Reef Octopus LX1000s for your size tank.

reeftanknewbie
02/12/2010, 11:24 PM
I really seem to like the SRO LX1000 but way out of my price range. So far I think the Eshopps is in the lead. Any thoughts on jhutto's recommendation on the turbo floater by AquaMedic?

lilredwuck
02/12/2010, 11:33 PM
I am new to the hobby. I own a Red Sea Prizm, Coralife Super Skimmer 65, and a AquaC Remora Pro w/Mag drive 3 pump. I broke collection cup on the Coralife before I got it running right. Seemed very touchy to adjust correctly, but I am new, and broke before I figured it out. I borrowed the Remora from a friend, just plugged it and and let it go. Tuning is done by moving the collection cup higher or lower. It's on a 65 gallon right now. Contacted their customer support about getting a plastic clamp and a sponge for the add on skimmer box return. I even told them I was BORROWING it from a friend. They sent me the stuff for free and where very nice. Quick response as well. Now only if Oceanic and Danner would take after them. Here are some pictures of the skimmate. I have run this about a week or two and empty and clean the cup every day.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd346/lilredwuck/Equipment/041.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd346/lilredwuck/Equipment/042.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd346/lilredwuck/Equipment/043-1.jpg

It hasn't been running too long since I have cleaned it today. It gets down right dirty especially the neck.

lilredwuck
02/12/2010, 11:43 PM
When I was looking for a skimmer, everyone seemed to say the AquaC was the way to go... Costs brand new, all depends on what you get. You can go with a Maxi-Jet 1200, Rio 1400, or Mag Drive 3, or no pump. You can upgrade it with an accessory skimmer box, and also a drain fitting on the cup. The unit I have runs $227 w/ the mag drive. +$10 for the drain fitting, $28-$43 for the add on box (Depends on pump), shipping is free. Not sure what the other skimmers cost though. Rated at 40-120 gallons. I traded my buddy 3 emperor 400's and some other misc. equipment for it.

yongpanda
02/13/2010, 02:30 AM
Vertex IN100, you won't be sorry especially with the high quality and the few extras they throw in that you won't find in any skimmer similary priced.

Small footprint and a very quiet one also!

mr9iron
02/13/2010, 02:53 AM
Vertex IN100, you won't be sorry especially with the high quality and the few extras they throw in that you won't find in any skimmer similary priced.

Could you post some pics or video of this skimmer in action?

Zebodog
02/13/2010, 06:09 AM

OP was looking for HOB - can the IN100 be used in that fashion?

bluetang66
02/13/2010, 09:02 AM
I have a similar set up minus the hob fuge,and i also ran a prizm for a while. I recently upgraded to a oct 800s, I can't believe how much gunk it will pull out, it will do more in a day than the little prizm would in a weeek. That being said there is some very good quality hob skimmers out there, I went with the octo, just do your homework.

reeftanknewbie
02/13/2010, 10:38 PM
yongpanda thanks for the feedback on the Vertex IN100. I was looking for a HOB skimmer though.

lilredwuck your pics are appreciated and helpful. do you need to readjust the collection cup each time you remove it to clean it? Really like the size of the Remora since I have very limited space on the back of my tank due to my HOB refugium.

FirstContact
02/14/2010, 03:19 AM
I really seem to like the SRO LX1000 but way out of my price range. So far I think the Eshopps is in the lead. Any thoughts on jhutto's recommendation on the turbo floater by AquaMedic?

The turbo floater is an older design. I think the needle wheel on the Ocean Runner pump is not a true needle wheel if they haven't changed it. What I like about the turbo floater is that it's cylindrical and can be placed in a sump if you decide to go that way in the future. You could probably also choose from many different needle wheel pumps like Eheim, Sedra, and Sicce and get much better performance out of it than with the Ocean Runer. It's also rated on handling much larger tanks so it's good for upgrading. But with your 55g you'll probably get better performance out of the HOB Octopus. But then HOB isn't great if in two years you decide to get a larger tank or decide you do want a sump.

reeftanknewbie
02/14/2010, 06:36 AM
Firstcontact,

great points... defiantly something to think about. Don't see myself upgrading anytime soon based on my rate of success with this tank and the room I have in my home. Any suggestions of forums I can find maybe a used octopus skimmer.

Chiefsurfer
02/14/2010, 07:58 AM
^ Right Here.

You have 64 posts, and have been a member for over a year. You should be able to view the BUY/SELL/TRADE forums here by now. I don't know how often octopus skimmers will come up, but might get lucky.

Also, just as an idea about the possability of an upgrade and not being able to use the skimmer. You CAN use HOB skimmers on your sump. Just hang it on the sump. Nothing wrong with that. For that to work, you would have to get a large enough HOB to work on the larger tank and sump set-up tho.

reeftanknewbie
02/14/2010, 04:49 PM
you caught me......just being a bit lazy and didn't feel like looking it up...Don't have a sump but that is a good idea if I had one.

FirstContact
02/14/2010, 10:46 PM
Good point Chiefsurfer I didn't think of that one...LOL

reeftanknewbie
02/16/2010, 06:00 AM
while everyone on here has been great and very helpful, I am still a bit undecided. I tried looking up a side by side comparison but no luck. Any suggestions? Again trying to keep my costs for either a new or used one around 200.00

Chiefsurfer
02/16/2010, 07:36 AM
^Well I really like my eshopps. I believe the needlewheel issues were the older generation pumps. I would think MOST of those have been sold out by now, and you should be buying the newer one.

That said, I think that choosing either eshopps or octopus would be like comparing an apple to an apple. I think either way you get a great HOB Skimmer, at a great price.

jason2459
02/16/2010, 07:42 AM
If you're looking for something under $200 I was very happy with the Eshopps psk-100h. Very easy setup and very quick break in period. One of the quietest skimmers I've used. Only wish it wasn't a mesh wheel but that's just me. I don't like mesh wheels.

I have a 55g, 75lbs live rock, hob refugium, etc. as well. Sounds like we have a similar setup. I'm currently trying out a super reef octopus hob right now and it's a beast. The octopus line is typically pretty solid. I started out with a octopus but wasn't a fan of the o-ring adjusting collection cup. It was pretty quite and produced some good skimmate. The collection cup was also a bit to small for the model I had.

lilredwuck
02/16/2010, 02:38 PM
lilredwuck your pics are appreciated and helpful. do you need to readjust the collection cup each time you remove it to clean it? Really like the size of the Remora since I have very limited space on the back of my tank due to my HOB refugium.

No readjusting needed. It's like a thick sort of sticky rubber band. To move it I either roll it up or down. You can always use a marker for your line just in case though. The final selling point for me was the AWESOME customer service, even though it was used and resold. I still can't get Oceanic to respond to me!
The Remora is 2.75" thick rated up to 75 gallons
The Remora PRO is 3.25" thick rated 40-120 gallons

IMO, I would go with the PRO vs. the regular Remora IF you went with a remora

reeftanknewbie
02/17/2010, 02:30 AM
I think it's a toss up between the remora pro and the Eshopps psk-100h based on cost and what I have heard from others in this post and other posts on RC. the octopus sounds great and in the reviews I have read everyone calls them a beast but a bit out of my price range unless I found a used one for 200.00 or less. I will keep you posted as to my final decision. Until then let's keep the feedback coming. This IMO has been a great discussion post.

anyuser
02/17/2010, 06:26 AM
I agree with the suggestion on the AquaMedic Turboflotor. It's a great skimmer.

reeftanknewbie
02/17/2010, 07:48 PM
How about the Aqua Medic Turboflotor Hang On Protein Skimmer? it's cost is around 245.00 which is a bit out of my price range but seems like another good choice.

cveverly
02/17/2010, 08:35 PM
How about the Aqua Medic Turboflotor Hang On Protein Skimmer? it's cost is around 245.00 which is a bit out of my price range but seems like another good choice.

Add another $44 and get the Super Reef Octopus LX1000s.

http://www.saltycritter.com/images/pics/coralvue/LX-1000.jpg

racefan
02/17/2010, 09:00 PM
I have a Aqua Remora Pro & it works well but man it is NOISY!
They do have great customer service. I sent them an e mail asking if I could buy a collection cup O ring through them. They sent me 2 free of charge!

Chiefsurfer
02/18/2010, 07:53 AM
cveverly, I saw a pic of that thing straight out of the box and it looked NICE. It's bright, but looks good nonetheless. So obviously I would say you have one of these? How do you like it? It pull a lot of gunk?

gpkozmp
02/18/2010, 01:52 PM
Right now working with a coralife and working on saving enough money to buy me a Reef Octopus.

zachfishman
02/18/2010, 03:05 PM
NOT a Seaclone, NOT a Prism, NOT a Remora Pro (so noisy). That being said the Remora (with Mag3 upgrade) pulls skimmate like a champ. If I were buying today it'd probably be Eshopps.

cveverly
02/18/2010, 03:29 PM
cveverly, I saw a pic of that thing straight out of the box and it looked NICE. It's bright, but looks good nonetheless. So obviously I would say you have one of these? How do you like it? It pull a lot of gunk?

I don't own one but I have seen the next size up in action. Good design with a great pump. I don't like all the red plastic but I could overlook that for the function. I currently have a sump skimmer but I have used HOB skimmers in the past.

jason2459
02/18/2010, 03:32 PM
I don't own one but I have seen the next size up in action. Good design with a great pump. I don't like all the red plastic but I could overlook that for the function. I currently have a sump skimmer but I have used HOB skimmers in the past.

The red plastic is easy to covery up. I've got the LX-2000s and painted it with a flat black krylon fussion paint. (just over half way down the page is a recap of the skimmer)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673282&page=21

Crank has the lx-1000s and used a black acrylic to make a skin covering.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784951

lilredwuck
02/19/2010, 01:41 AM
I just got a replacement impeller for my mag 3 because it was making a clicking ticking noise. We'll let's say it wasn't the impeller. I think I will try a rio 1400 on it, well see how it does. As for the spray bar noise, put a chunk of 2" foam in the area. Might have to notch it a little, but it should work. I have 3 kids and a wife, so a little noise is ok for me!

clayw
02/19/2010, 02:21 AM
check out Bubble Magus. if you use the search tool here on RC type in Bubble Magus and a full thread comes up in the equipment forum. theyre very good skimmers for a lower price, but dont let that defer you. I know first hand how well they work
-clay

clayw
02/19/2010, 02:23 AM
BM Nac 6 - $179.99 rated for 160g
-clay

reeftanknewbie
02/19/2010, 05:33 AM
clayw,

Great suggestion. Seems like the Bubble Magus is a nice skimmer only problem for me is that it looks like they don't offer it in a HOB model. Since I don't have a sump I need a HOB. Not sure if I could rig up a external one or not but don't think it would pump from my lower cabinet back into my tank.

Chiefsurfer
02/19/2010, 07:27 AM
^Bubble Magnus makes 2 Hang-on Models. The NBQQ(?) and the NAC5E. The NBQQ is 20-80 gallons, and the NAC5E is larger, I think to 150. I did some searching to see if I could provide a link, but looked at like 6 or 7 online stores that carry bubble magus, and only saw the NBQQ Once, and the NAC5E not at all. If you have a LFS that carries their stuff they should be able to order it for you tho. I forgot to include them, but have regularly heard they are very good for the price.

jason2459
02/19/2010, 08:00 AM
I've read some good stuff about the Bubble Magus insump skimmers but nothing much on their HOB models. Only thing that worries me about those are the quality of their pumps.

reeftanknewbie
02/20/2010, 08:23 AM
aren't most of the pumps interchangeable? would think you could upgrade like the Eshopps does.

Chiefsurfer
02/20/2010, 03:31 PM
a lot of pumps are, but I don't know if all are.

Also, the eshopps pump upgrade, along with MANY other mods done to eshopps are on the older generation. I believe all the newer generation has all the mods standard.

LakeShow
02/20/2010, 06:08 PM
Im in the same boat as you as far as getting a new HoB skimmer for a sumpless 50g, after doing alot of hours of research im going be ordering a Warner Marine Hx2, the newest versions have a bubble plate which seems to be a big improvment on the older ones, iv read some good reviews on them and they look pretty solid.

If you still havnt decided on which one your going with id give these a look.

Chiefsurfer
02/20/2010, 08:11 PM
I have also seen the warner marine hang-ons, and it looks VERY impressive. Problem is that it is HUGE, like ENORMOUS!!!!!! I saw the H1, and HONESTLY, it is BIGGER than my 10 gallon tank I just set up for my mom. It's ABSOLUTELY INSANELY BIG. If you haven't seen it in person, cut out a piece of cardboard/poasterboard in the dimensions of the skimmer. Once you get a visual, you will understand. ALSO, the adjustment for the collection cup is moving it up and down inside a tube with an o-ring. At the dryest you can skim, figure on another 4"x6" rectangle that can go up another 6" or so. Not that there aren't bigger out there, but for the gallon rating, it's huge, but once again, looks IMPRESSIVE.

reeftanknewbie
02/21/2010, 02:24 PM
agreed. saw this as well. looked very big. too big for my space available since I also have a HOB refugium. So far the remora and eshopps are my two top choices with third going to AquaMedic Turboflotor based on cost, size and rated performance. I would like to start a poll on here if anyone knows how to help to look at all of the HOB skimmers.

reeftanknewbie
03/04/2010, 04:57 AM
I like the idea of using a cardboard template to map out the area I plan on placing the HOB skimmer. I think for me high and depth aren't an issue but with might be.