PDA

View Full Version : Banger Newbie Questions

dochoot
02/10/2010, 12:10 PM
I have a pair that seem to mate constantly. I have got one of the fry to live much by accident.

Anyway, dad is on day 14 with eggs and I am setting up a 29 gall tank to be inline with main system (take it off line when/if) I get babbies in there. I am setting it up as a regugium. Seems like all the life would be great for fry but don't see others doing it this way.

Would it be best to catch the dad out of main tank and put him in the 29? Is there something I can put him in that the babies would get out of but he could not to save them after release?

Raise baby brine shrimp to feed? What is the HUFA additive?

Sorry lots of questions.

nauticac4
02/10/2010, 12:54 PM
Best way to catch dad is to net (preferably a clear container) right after you cut the lights off. Seems to disorient them enough to be able to catch them. Don't chase dad around the tank though as this may cause him to eat or release the eggs/babies. Also try not to lif him outta the water as this can lead to the same issue.

Petsmart sells livebearer net "cages" that can be hung on the rim of the tank. If you can catch dad that would be the place for him or the tank you plan to setup until he releases all the eggs. You can induce him to release all the kids but I have not tried this ( seems kinda cruel to me, plus papa knows best)

Baby brine shrimp freshly hatch is a good started food. Make sure they shells are removed as they can cause digestive problems. I have used Selecon to enrich the BBS (artemtia and phyto work also) and I beleive there is hufa in there. Othime(sp?)beleive it comes from Reeds it is a starter prepared food that lots of people use. Its sold in all sorts of sizes not sure was is recommended for Cardinals.

Questions are the best way to learn. Sure some others will chime in as well. Also look at MOFIB website they have a ton of info on breeding bangaiis

dochoot
02/10/2010, 01:01 PM
Wow. MOFIB is an amazing site.