PDA

View Full Version : AC jr w/Dosing 2 part

killab443
02/10/2010, 04:20 PM
So I have an AC Jr. Couldn't be happier with it. I'd like to set it up for dosing 2 part. I remember hearing somewhere that you should use a certain 2 ports on the DC2 for dosing pumps. Any insight?

killab443
02/10/2010, 07:00 PM
Dc8*

ciphros
02/11/2010, 10:49 AM
Dc8*

Low draw stuff on the DC8 (such as dosing pumps) should be plugged in on ports 4 & 8. These two are relay controlled, not TRIAC, and will turn on and off properly with the low power draw of the dosing pumps.

killab443
02/11/2010, 11:34 AM
Nice, awesome, exactly what I was lookin for. thanks

ciphros
02/12/2010, 10:45 AM
Glad to be able to help. Also, if you haven't thought about it, it's a good idea if you are using soda ash (raises pH), you should put a high pH stop command on the Alk doser. I personally like to stir my Ca and Alk when dosing so that things stay as consistent as possible too - so I use a maxijet set to come on 5 min before the doser. I also have a stop command that tells the doser not to run if the stirrer is off. May be overkill, but things look good in the tank. :)

killab443
02/25/2010, 06:36 PM
I'd like to put a ph stop but my probe is old and not really to reliable. Don't really have the cash right now to fork out for a lab grade. But the PH stop is definitely a must have once I get it fully functional. I'm dosing alk 2 hrs before calcium at night. I found that the calcium and alk definitely tend to "clump" together. Being I don't have a stirring pump I feel this is best to do them separately. Thanks for the input definitely some good ideas there.

ciphros
02/25/2010, 06:44 PM
I dose Ca at mid-day (nearly 7 hours after Alk doses for the last time of the day). If you can space them apart more, you may have less issues. I'd never dose them both together...too much chance of precipitating calcium. I should have mentioned that I have a Maxijet in EACH bucket that comes on 5 min. before the doser - one for the Ca that comes on and runs over the dosing period at mid-day, and one for the Alk that comes on 5 minutes before and runs the entire time each of my 2 dosings at midnight and 5AM are active.

If you have a "normal" range for pH that you typically see with your current probe, just set it to stop dosing if it goes above the highest you are currently seeing as a high. For example, I set my safety at about 8.40, but when not dosing (during the day), rarely see above 8.35. So, my safety is just to keep it from seriously overshooting the normal pH range of the tank.