PDA

View Full Version : Acro peeling

Am07f
02/10/2010, 08:13 PM
Anyone know why i may have lost two acros in the last couple days due to peeling?

My tank parameters are good, 8 alk 420 calc ph 8.4 temp 79 0nit 0amon

I have other SPS and LPS and an anemone, everything doing perfect and growing. All of a sudden peeling...im scared it might jump to the rest. Anyone have a similar experience?

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/am07f/DSC_0319.jpg

I lost that huge plating acro jaqulinea at the top and the milli right by it....im devastated haha

Stanley-Reefer
02/10/2010, 08:16 PM
had they been touching? I've had corals battling only to rtn after weeks of fighting.

I also found AEFW when my hawkins in my 175 started peeling from the center for no reason.

Any bit marks anywhere?

Am07f
02/10/2010, 08:40 PM
AEFW?

No just random peeling. The milli is partially alive but im assuming its going to take the same course. The rest of the coral is open, polyps swaying in current, but the base just like the other acro is peeling from the bottom. I cut it off and its continuing.

Am07f
02/10/2010, 08:42 PM
And no they were touching at all.

Am07f
02/11/2010, 09:20 PM
...it continues

Znut Reefer
02/11/2010, 11:14 PM
Have you made any changes to the system lately?

Am07f
02/13/2010, 05:12 PM
Water changes thats all. check parameters morning and night. So far only two pieces have peeled. Everything else is open and growing doing great. I think it might have to do with the temp spikes were having here in Florida.

Last week it was hot and today it was in the 50's. My house during the day gets cold and then i guess it got hot. The corals that peeled were all the way at the top so im thinking maybe there was a fluctuation in temp closer to the surface of the water....i could be wrong but who knows.

dots
02/13/2010, 05:59 PM
I suspect a parameter is off or was, faulty readings, or contamination.

If you have been having uncontrolled temperature fluctuation, that would be a likely cause. How much is the "tank" shifting with the change?

Am07f
02/13/2010, 06:16 PM
Well im not home all day so from morning till night i dont know. With normal temps ive seen my tank is steady. But with the cold spikes in the last couple weeks, im suspecting drops during the night while im alseep and maybe during the day.

dots
02/13/2010, 06:35 PM
What size of heater do you have?
What is it set to?
How is it controlled?
How do you measure the temperature?
Do you have a chiller on the tank? What is it set to?

How old has the tank been set up? and how long is the piece been in the tank?

How are you supplementing the tank? Which testing equipment are you using?

Hydrometer or refractometer?

These pieces look like they are finished, perhaps if we can determine the cause....we can save the rest and prevent it in the future....

brshriver
02/13/2010, 06:39 PM
And what about your magnesium levels? I don't see them listed.

Am07f
02/14/2010, 03:03 AM
250watt heater.
78 degrees, my tank on the norm is 78-80 degrees. No high no lower.
I dont have a chiller because it never gets hotter than that. I use a regular aquarium thermometer. Tank is over a year old, one piece was brand new and the other was about a month old. All the other SPS in the tank are fine and growing.
I do bi weekly water changes, and dose Reef complete for calcium and Reef Results marine Calcium Carbonator.
Hydrometer.
Mag is 1250, the supplements i use maintain my mag levels.

Thanks guys for the help i really appreciate it. I spoke to my LFS and he had one other table acro jaquelina peel in the store, so maybe shipping stressed it. And then the other coral that i had for a month was moved from the middle to the top where the table was, maybe too much light too quickly??