PDA

View Full Version : My New Apex web pages Graphics hack !

WaterbugJenn
02/10/2010, 09:17 PM
I decided to make myself some new graphics for the apex's web pages this is now what it looks like when I hit my Apex from the Net. Lan & Wan.
If I dig deeper into the files I could change the whole look of the page including Font size color and background color, etc.
I will prob end up doing that when I have a little more time.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4347188317_070869042d_o.jpg

I can let you guys know how I did it if you are interested.
The new graphics actually load faster from the Apex web browser because the file size is smaller than the original ones.

Curt I could use a job doing graphics.
I would be honored to work for Neptune ! :wavehand:

Oh and I know all of my stuff all says manual off. The tank that the Apex is going to control will not have water in it until next week.

Cheers - Jenn

slief
02/10/2010, 09:31 PM
Thats pretty cool. I would love to know how you did it!

RussM
02/10/2010, 10:05 PM
Sweet!

I did this a few months ago for a friend who has multiple Apexes so he could easily identify which Apex's web GUI he was on:

http://www.reeftronics.net/pics/210banner.jpg

Not nearly as elegant as your mods though! I'm no artist... just a geek ;)

RussM
02/10/2010, 10:10 PM
Thats pretty cool. I would love to know how you did it!

The simplest thing to do is to edit the banner image, which is found in the www folder in the directory where you have extracted the Apex firmware you currently have loaded. Edit banner.jpg with your favorite graphics software, save it, then use the firmware updater to upload the web pages. Do NOT change the size of the image. Or you could make a whole new banner if you wish, as long as you keep it the same size.

Somewhere in ancient history here in this forum is a thread that goes into detail about editing & customizing AC3/AC3pro web pages too.

WaterbugJenn
02/10/2010, 10:17 PM
i am sure this kind of thing is not new.
However I am new to tank controllers and figured this out by myself.
Just thought you all would like to check it out.

Please do not do this if you are uncomfortable doing so. I will not be held responsible if you mess something up.

Here is the how to:

If you have downloaded any of the firmware upgrades from Neptune, you will have the files needed to do this.

Open your favorite paint program, I am using Photoshop CS4 but you can use whatever you want to do this.

You need to open 2 files in your paint program.

In the firmware upgrade files you will see a file named "www" ,
inside that folder you will need to open "banner.jpg" and "bantopbg".

Now that they are opened in your paint program do what ever you want to the files.
DO NOT ALTER THE PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS OF EITHER IMAGE.

Before saving make sure the file is not larger than the original. If it is you will need to reduce the quality of the jpeg image until it is the right size.

Once you have the files looking the way you want them, now it is time to get them into your controller.

You will want to save the files right back into the file you got them from ( "www" in your most recent firmware upgrade )

Do not change the name of the file, if you do it will not be recognized by the Apex's web browser.

If you want to keep the original files copy and paste them into a new folder outside of the firmware folders. (do this before saving the new files)

If you get a "do you want to replace the existing with the new one" click yes.

Last step :

Open up the "Apex flash Utility" - Click update web pages.

And there you go - Enjoy.

If you have any problems following this how to , Please let me know here in this thread.

Cheers - Jenn

slief
02/11/2010, 12:20 AM
Thank you guys very much! That is very easy. We do it all the time to change the boot sceens for out motherboard bios's among other things. I think I might just have to have some fun with this!

HeneryH
02/11/2010, 10:30 AM
In the old ACiii days you could make a lot of mods to the html pages to add things like fish-cam feeds.

I'm pretty sure you could probably dissect the html code for the Apex but technology has moved a long way since my experiences with simple html. I have no idea how all this flash stuff comes together.

dwolson2
03/12/2012, 01:59 PM
I know this is an old thread, but have you ever looked into making a banner like the reef angel does?

Also, have you changed any other things like make 2 lists of switches instead of 1 long one?

eyesolator
03/22/2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the post, prompted me to do some mods too.
Lousy pic
http://members.accesstoledo.com/eyesolator/graphics/back1.jpg

Me and my flaming skulls.......

Went in and started to mess around with the .css and .sht files.

John