PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got A BioCube29 :)

cman_pogey
02/11/2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Well finally after being in this hobby for about nine

months, and going through four different tanks, I got

the tank I wanted from the beginning, but couldnt

afford! After going through tons of mistakes, I am

hoping to do this as well as I can, and I am off to

LOT better starts than the others, by getting my very

own R/O Unit!! Its the MightyMite and I could not be

happier! No RO water was the downfall of the last

three tanks, so I am getting it right this time ;)

Yesterday we had a snowday, so I took that time to

finish setting everything up. Everything is pretty

stock except my MaxiJet 1100 return pump, and instead

of BioBalls I have dry rubble, but other than that

nothing is changed. I used all dry rock that I had

from all my previous tanks, and I tried to scape for a

sort of open/rock wall/peninsula style tank if that

makes sense:lolspin:

I just have a couple questions: How long will it take

to cycle? (I guess I should know at least a week, I

just want to know so I can stock it lol, I am SUCH a

patient person haha) And, I used sand that was once

''live'' but i had it stored in a bucket for a couple

months, so I assume its now ''dry'' sand, correct?

Well Ill cut the crap and here are a couple pics...

Oh btw, sorry the text is like that... :/

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/011.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/012.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/013.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/014.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/016.jpg

Sinful Aquatics
02/11/2010, 06:53 PM
Nice! And congrats on your new tank. The cycling normally last for about 2 months. During the cycling do a water change and check your params

new2r1
02/11/2010, 09:35 PM
Nice congrats...i am interested in getting an oceanic 29 gal for my bedroom, it will primarily be a sea horse tank. My biggest concern is the noise level at nite, are these really silent and good for a bedroom situation ?

oldblu
02/12/2010, 07:22 AM
nice tank, was looking at this one myself, looking good

cman_pogey
02/12/2010, 10:09 AM
Nice congrats...i am interested in getting an oceanic 29 gal for my bedroom, it will primarily be a sea horse tank. My biggest concern is the noise level at nite, are these really silent and good for a bedroom situation ?

Ya, this is actually in my bedroom, on my dresser, and I absolutely love the spot. I get to watch the fish and the BioCubes look amazing with the moonlights on at nite! And yes, I think its really quiet, but then again I cant sleep without listening to iPod lol. I took the bio balls out, which mean the water from the first chamber sort of ''falls'' more into the second which makes it a little louder, but also keep in mind I dont have very much rubble in there at all. Once I get it more and fill it to the top I am confident it will be completely silent.

Nice! And congrats on your new tank. The cycling normally last for about 2 months. During the cycling do a water change and check your params

Ya, thanks for the advice and I will definately do water changes. But I thought that some people stock there tanks full when there changing tanks and only had a ''mini-cycle,'' but I am gonna assume thats because they are using established water, sand and rock, correct?

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:16 PM
Finally an update, and rather big one at that. I finally got around to buying a good ammonia test kit, and a week or so ago it read 0, so I added the fish that I had in my holding tank, the domino damsel and clown fish.

As good fortune would have it, I was recently placed in the position of taking a few corals for a lady in my town who was tearing down her tank, so I got my hands on a few things. The only catch being was that she had a massive red slime issue, its not very much, but should I be worried about catching it in my tank?

Also, I got two more fish, a scooter blenny, and I am currently holding a blue tang for her, but its a good four to five inches, so i need help on what to do with it, because its clearly to small for this tank. So what do I do? I have a Drs appointment on Tuesday, which is in the city that my LFS is, so I will probably trade it in.

Oh, and I also have some chaeto floating around, and does anyone with a biocube have any suggestions on how to turn chamber two into a fuge? The only problem is that I dont know how to do the light... I want absolutely no light leaking into the room, or an ugly fixture hanging from the top, I want it to still look very sleek, any suggestions would be awesome!!!

Current stock list:
Blue Tang
Scooter Blenny
Clown Fish
Domino Damsel

Gonipora
Xenia
Colt
GSP
Mystery Anenome
*Soon a large colony of zoanthids

Again, any help/hints/suggestions are more than welcome!!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/003.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/004.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/005.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/006.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/008.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/009.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/013-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/012-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/011-1.jpg

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:20 PM
Oh yea, one more thing, could somebody PLEASE explain how to go about fragging soft corals like xenia and colt, because there was a nice piece of pulsing xenia I got from her to, but its base rock was COVERED in red slime, so I just snipped the bases, and was told to just leave it in the sand for a while, but they dissapeared!! :( The problem was that when they were extended they were longer the six inches, I cut both of them, then they shrinked to like less than an inch, making it nearly impossible to secure them into the sand. Once I thought they were in there well, but not buried, I come back and there gone, and advice?

Beblebe
02/27/2010, 11:23 PM
*I jump through living room window slap you*I'm no expert but get that tang outa there!

AIMFish
02/27/2010, 11:32 PM
This should be interesting to see if you can beat the odds on adding things that shouldn't be added to a tank that fast, and things that shouldn't be in a 29 at all. I can't decide between the Gonipora or anemone with who's gonna go first.:hmm3: The more I think about it the more this seems like a thread only meant to enrage over critical hobbyist, you really should find something better to do with your time ;)

cmac23
02/27/2010, 11:34 PM
this is too funny

cmac23
02/27/2010, 11:35 PM
but sad at the same time

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:42 PM
Ok, well I am pretty sure that I am just going to trade in the Gonipora at the LFS on tuesday, because I am more of a softy person.

And once again, the TANG IS NOT STAYING SO CALM DOWN.

And cmac, if you dont have something at least constructive, then dont speak at all.

cmac23
02/27/2010, 11:44 PM
is this constructive? take out your stuff, and cycle your tank properly, and get that nem out please! besides congrats on your new tank. i dont think ro water was your problem b4 it was patience that got the best of you.

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:44 PM
Oh, and keep in mind, its not like I went out and just bought these random items, I was given them, so its either that or they get thrown out, wouldnt you guys had done the same thing?

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:46 PM
Okay, my perams are all perfect, according to my LFS, so they said it would be fine to add some stuff. Once again I was not expecting this massive surge of livestock all of a sudden, but what I am supposed to do with the anenome. I cant get rid of that, the tang, and the gonipora until Tuesday. But just for clarification what is the big deal about the anenome?

cmac23
02/27/2010, 11:51 PM
i would say you need an established tank for the nem. not cycled, but established, it will survive for a few months, but i would wait till 6 months before adding a nem, a year if it was my first, just my .02 cents

cman_pogey
02/27/2010, 11:53 PM
Okay, well I guess ill just have to trade it in, but it has to stay until Tuesday...

?

cmac23
02/27/2010, 11:58 PM
just my advice man. i would go to the nem section on here and ask questions about it

inTankLLC
02/28/2010, 01:45 AM
ugh

cman_pogey
02/28/2010, 09:42 AM
ugh

Please dont come back, your unbelievably valuable opinion is not needed if thats all you have to say. Thanks.

Scott-CapeCoral
02/28/2010, 10:51 AM
Hey, Congrats on your new tank. Sounds like your very happy and excited about it.
we all know how that feels.

What these other guys are telling you is that you should have cycled it longer. Your original post was 2-11-10, now you update today with fish and corals that have to really fight to stay alive in a 29 gallon. The longer you wait the better. The more good bacteria you build up, the healthier the tank. Not to mention the quicker detoxifying of ammonia.

Don't let it get to you. Just listen and learn that's what everyone else did at your stage as-well. They aren't out to get you. They are most likely upset at the sight of a 3-4 inch tang in a biocube. Hope you understand..

cman_pogey
02/28/2010, 11:13 AM
Scott, thanks for your advice. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that once the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite read zero, that the tank was fully cycled? And yes I know that the tank is waaay to small for the tang, but I had to take it, and plan on trading it into the LFS on Tuesday.

I also have another question, I dont know very much about the gonipora, do you think it will die in my tank, I know the biocube lighting is by no means that great. I guess I will just trade that in too.

cmac23
02/28/2010, 12:00 PM
yes, but you can have mini cycles. also, like i said before there is a difference between an established tank and a fully cycle tank

Bigtymez
02/28/2010, 12:16 PM
I like the rock work. Keep room for things to grow, don't build the rocks too high.

romsoccer12
02/28/2010, 04:32 PM
mine updating on pictures when everything is out?
those other pictures almost everything looks unhealthy but the damsel

cman_pogey
02/28/2010, 05:50 PM
The problem with the corals is this, the lady I got these from had a really bad red slime issue, and thats why the look unhealthy. The dark spots on the gonipora is red slime, and some of the GSP has it on it too. The anenome died, and I am not surprised, unfortunately there was nothing I could do. As far as the fish, the only thing I would say is unhealthy is the tang. My clown and damsel are doing great, and the scooter blenny seems to be doing well also. And yes, I will update pics once I ''clean'' up the tank a bit.

Also, would you guys recommend any nice corals that are pretty hardy? Im gonna have a bit of store cred for the gonipora and tang, so just exploring my options.

Connor

romsoccer12
02/28/2010, 07:30 PM
kenya trees, duncans, zoas, shrooms, toadstool, all those softies and ez LPS are great additions
i would remove your scooter blenny. like mandarins they need lots of liverock and a tank thats been up for a while and a fuge because they ear the little bugs of your rock, unless it already eats frozen.
i would try keeping a bubbletip first if you want any anemone because it is the easiest.
be patient, take your time, read before you buy and get that tang OUT
gl

lougotzz
02/28/2010, 07:34 PM
*I jump through living room window slap you*I'm no expert but get that tang outa there!

Is taht from south park LOL?

lougotzz
02/28/2010, 07:38 PM
This should be interesting to see if you can beat the odds on adding things that shouldn't be added to a tank that fast, and things that shouldn't be in a 29 at all. I can't decide between the Gonipora or anemone with who's gonna go first.:hmm3: The more I think about it the more this seems like a thread only meant to enrage over critical hobbyist, you really should find something better to do with your time ;)

That was a stupid comment. The guy might not of known whats what and you come along and act like a reef central hard ***? GTFO;)

cman_pogey
02/28/2010, 08:16 PM
That was a stupid comment. The guy might not of known whats what and you come along and act like a reef central hard ***? GTFO;)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it ****es me off. But thx for sticking up for me, I guess I just thought he was being sarcastic. I dont know what is up with the all the negative too tightly strung people that are getting attracted to my thread, but I am sick of it, so lets stop. I welcome criticism, but if your gonna be an a*s, then dont post.

cman_pogey
02/28/2010, 08:36 PM
Well, a couple pluses today. I found the two xenia that id thought were lost, and glued them to a couple rocks. Also, I am not sure if your supposed to do this or not, but I picked off most of the red slime from the gonipora, and it seems to be doing much better. The polyps are even out what seems like a fair amount.

Another thing, I went out to Home Depot and bought a socket and jerry rigged up a fuge light. I then glued that inside a tupper wear box and spray painted it, then taped it to the clear part of the back of the biocube. It actually kind of gives of a neat light when you look at it from the front, and all for $1.67 :)

Oh, and I glued the colt to a rock.

Here are a couple pics, including some of the improving gonipora and a pic of the GSP covered in red slime:( Does anyone have advice on what to do with it? Its a really nice piece and Id hate for it to die.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/010-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/002-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/006-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/005-1.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/003-1.jpg

AIMFish
03/01/2010, 09:07 AM
........ I guess I just thought he was being sarcastic........
You're first guess on the sarcasm was right. ;) As mentioned you've jumped in a bit fast. Whether an animal is free or not doesn't seem a good justification for taking it when you may not be helping it anymore than the situation it was in. Tanks continue to age and mature even after the cycle is complete. As mentioned, give 6 months, or even better, a year before getting an anemone, BTW the one you received appears to have had an injured foot, so as you thought it was gonna die already, looking back it would've been safer for the other animals for you to have not put a dying one in the tank. It appears I was wrong on the the idea that this thread was just meant to enrage people, you do appear to want to learn and care for your tank. Slow down and spend more time learning instead of stocking the tank right now.:spin3: Oh and for the goni, most don't do well in captivity in general, pass on keeping them. I'd wash the GSP off in a bucket of tank water.

romsoccer12
03/01/2010, 02:14 PM
your corals still seem to be unhappy for some reason. id check your params.
get a toothbrush and scrub off the redslime in a bucket of tank water, and than put it back and see wahtsup. GSP is so hard to kill... it can remain unopen for probably weeks to months and still not die.

cman_pogey
03/04/2010, 07:24 AM
Okay everyone, a quick up date before I leave for Dallas for spring break. I removed the tang, and gonipora per basically everyones request. Everything seems to be doing quite well, including the new frag I got that is some sort of Colt I think, I really liked it, but I was reeeeally wanting a Kenya tree, but my LFS didnt have one, so I got this instead. For fish, I also got a fire goby, I really like him!

I also got a lage either polyp or zoa colony, of probably eighty polyps, but I am not sure what it is so could you guys please help me identify it? Its the big rock in the middle.

Stock List:
Fire Goby
Clown Fish
Scooter Blenny

Pulsing Xenia (which i thought was regular xenia, but it started to pulse now!)
Zoa/Paly Mystery Coral
Small Colt
Large Colt (A solid ID on this would be awesome as well)
GSP (Polyps still arent out after I brushed them)

I also started feeding frozen brine shrimp, and my fish absolutely love it. And btw, I had to get rid of the damsel because he was attacking the Fire Goby, which I guess I should have known all along, my god that little bastard took me two days to catch!:lol:

Also since I am going to be in Dallas for a week, I went out and put everything on timers. I am kind of nervous leaving the tank, but since everything is basically automated, and my mom is going to feed them, there shouldnt be any problems.

So heres a FTS, once again, any constructive criticism encouraged.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/cp11mo/001.jpg

romsoccer12
03/04/2010, 10:59 AM
loooking great!
does the scooter blenny eat the brine?
also i would start getting mysis instead of brine. it has 70% more protein and is much for nutritious for fish, plus they like it just as much

blennydude
03/04/2010, 12:18 PM
My honest opinion, it's great how excited you are about the hobby but you are moving way to fast. Your sand and rock was dead less than a month ago. It does not have nearly enough living bacteria/organisms to break down the waste produced. You would be moving fast if you started with cured live rock. It is evident b/c the corals don't look healthy. Do you have your own test kit? Don't rely on your fish store to be accurate and honest. All they care about is selling, I bet their eyes light up w/ dollar signs when you walk through the door. Work on livestock that is thriving, not just barely surviving. What happened to the Damsel?

romsoccer12
03/04/2010, 12:31 PM
+1, its fine that you added that stuff but be patient and maybe take a month break and let your corals grow in more. you have to let the tank get used to the bioload

JHall651
03/04/2010, 05:20 PM
I am a newbie but from all the research and reading that I have been doing I am really surprised that someone on here has not found out where this guy lives and relieved him of his saltwater tank rights. This tank was started completely dead like 2 weeks ago and now it is stocked with coral and fish. Not to mention by my count 5 pretty large snails and a bleddy to a tank with what looks like no maturity to even support them. Every time someone tries to give him the constructive criticism he wants / needs he whines that people are being mean and then just goes and does his own thing. IMO his tank doesnt need to mature he does. Enjoy your spring break, im sure your tank will. :)

P.S. 3 passed failed tanks...haha yea it was definitely the RO system.

cman_pogey
03/04/2010, 05:40 PM
loooking great!
does the scooter blenny eat the brine?
also i would start getting mysis instead of brine. it has 70% more protein and is much for nutritious for fish, plus they like it just as much

Hey thanks man, and yea the blenny eats the brine. Ya well I think its probably time to just wait it out, like you and blennydude said, its time to just wait it out. I am not going to add anything else for a month or two, let everything catch up.

My honest opinion, it's great how excited you are about the hobby but you are moving way to fast. Your sand and rock was dead less than a month ago. It does not have nearly enough living bacteria/organisms to break down the waste produced. You would be moving fast if you started with cured live rock. It is evident b/c the corals don't look healthy. Do you have your own test kit? Don't rely on your fish store to be accurate and honest. All they care about is selling, I bet their eyes light up w/ dollar signs when you walk through the door. Work on livestock that is thriving, not just barely surviving. What happened to the Damsel?

Haha, I gave the Damsel to a friend because he was not playing very nice with the fire goby lol, so after two days of trying to get him I finally got him. And yes, I think that I am going to fast, so like I said above, im gonna slow it down. The only thing is, that all of my perams are reading perfect according to my API test kit. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all reading zero as of yesterday night, but once again, its time to let everything catch up.
I am a newbie but from all the research and reading that I have been doing I am really surprised that someone on here has not found out where this guy lives and relieved him of his saltwater tank rights. This tank was started completely dead like 2 weeks ago and now it is stocked with coral and fish. Not to mention by my count 5 pretty large snails and a bleddy to a tank with what looks like no maturity to even support them. Every time someone tries to give him the constructive criticism he wants / needs he whines that people are being mean and then just goes and does his own thing. IMO his tank doesnt need to mature he does. Enjoy your spring break, im sure your tank will. :)

P.S. 3 passed failed tanks...haha yea it was definitely the RO system.

I can be an *** hole too. Were you not loved enough when you were a child? Are you making that up by being a badass on a fish tank forum? I pity you, I truly do. I am surprised that someone has not found out where you live, and beat your *** because you have a big mouth.

And please inform me on where I did not except someones criticism??? I removed the tang, and the gonipora. My perams are perfect and now everything is going to grow in a while. The only example of me not listening to what someone has to say was when AIMfish decided to be an ***, but then he had the courtesty to come back and say something constructive.

Oh, and if you had bothered to use up your clearly precious time, you would have realized I did not have a choice in putting nearly all of the corals in my tank!! It was either they get thrown away, or I take them for FREE and try my luck at saving them, and so far,they are doing B-E-T-T-E-R. Not great, but better, which means I have done well so far, and it is sure as hell better then them being thrown away.

And then again, I am in high school, so I am being plenty mature, but I am still a kid. How old are you? And you think mature is flaming on a public aquarium forum? Ha.

Good day sir.
:lmao:

JHall651
03/04/2010, 07:24 PM
Well for starters Im sure a mature high school kid knows where his LFS is and can take all the coral and everything else that shouldn't be in that tank (that was surrendered to him) and take it to the same LFS he took the tang, and gonipora and Im assuming where you took the damsel you "got rid of". That way they would have a pretty good chance of a healthly life instead of trying "your luck" out (which Im sure they are excited about), assuming your LFS is halfway decent. And while your there you could take back the other coral you BOUGHT (after people already told you to hold off and slow down). In addition to that Im also sure that the same mature high school kid would also not "jerry rig" an electric powered, heat producing lamp, inside of a spray painted plastic tupper wear box and try to have enough patients to save up (or have mommy pay for) the proper equipment to build a reef tank. But of course I could be wrong. As far as your request at wanting to know where the criticism you have failed to process is, well, you would have "clearly" read it in not only your thread but the countless others on here had you taken your "precious time" too. Oh and don't be so hard on yourself. You are not being an "a**hole" you are just being a hard headed, impatient, immature kid. Most of us went through that stage the only difference is most of us didn't torture (which is against the law now.... thanks Obama!) small animals along the way. At any rate you truely are a scholar and a fine gentleman for your humanitarian acts and I bid you fair well and say good day to you too Sir.

P.S. During your rage and fantasies of people beat peoples "a**" you forgot to censor "bada**" - potty mouth.

cman_pogey
03/04/2010, 09:45 PM
Well for starters Im sure a mature high school kid knows where his LFS is and can take all the coral and everything else that shouldn't be in that tank (that was surrendered to him) and take it to the same LFS he took the tang, and gonipora and Im assuming where you took the damsel you "got rid of". That way they would have a pretty good chance of a healthly life instead of trying "your luck" out (which Im sure they are excited about), assuming your LFS is halfway decent. And while your there you could take back the other coral you BOUGHT (after people already told you to hold off and slow down). In addition to that Im also sure that the same mature high school kid would also not "jerry rig" an electric powered, heat producing lamp, inside of a spray painted plastic tupper wear box and try to have enough patients to save up (or have mommy pay for) the proper equipment to build a reef tank. But of course I could be wrong. As far as your request at wanting to know where the criticism you have failed to process is, well, you would have "clearly" read it in not only your thread but the countless others on here had you taken your "precious time" too. Oh and don't be so hard on yourself. You are not being an "a**hole" you are just being a hard headed, impatient, immature kid. Most of us went through that stage the only difference is most of us didn't torture (which is against the law now.... thanks Obama!) small animals along the way. At any rate you truely are a scholar and a fine gentleman for your humanitarian acts and I bid you fair well and say good day to you too Sir.

P.S. During your rage and fantasies of people beat peoples "a**" you forgot to censor "bada**" - potty mouth.

Im sorry, I guess I thought you were mature enough to handle such "profane" words.

And, strike two! Maybe if your gonna bash, then you should get your facts right. I live in Kirksville (For future reference if you wanna come take my tank away) and the nearest "Local" Fish Store is in Columbia, which is a 2HR drive from where I live.

And really? Torturing small animals, did you really just say that? Wow.

Oh, and the ''jerryrigged tupper contained" didnt work. So I replaced it with a glass housing, that works very well as a matter of fact. So I am not mature by being creative and cost effective? Ha, and ''mommy'' didnt pay a cent, oh how I wish she would, but I paid for every single penny by myself. And you do know that the main attraction to a biocube is that all of the ''required'' equipment is included, right?

And, oh, my favorite of all. "Hard headed, impatient, immature kid." Really man? Are you listening to yourself? You continue to flame my thread and you are how old? If you are so much more mature than me, you would have not posted at all, clearly, an epic fail.

And why thank you, my 33 on the ACT clearly does show that I am very scholarly, and for being a 17 year old, I do feel like I am being the gentlemen in this conversation.

So once again, thank you for the amusement, and I hope you enjoy my thread.

P.S. Lets test YOUR maturity, any body want to make bets that this guy replies back, even after constantly saying he is the mature one?

Ha.

JHall651
03/04/2010, 10:57 PM
Once again your ability to read posts have failed you. Number one I have never claimed to be mature. I just pointed out the fact that you were not. To further back up this theory I would like to point out that some how you think that the use of profane words directly reflects ones maturity level. Number two what does your ACT score have to do with your maturity level? As far as your ability to learn new information is suspect. Once you get out of High School and take some collegiate level classes you will learn that there are three main types of Intelligence. Just cause you happen to be analytical and able to score a 33 on an ACT does not prove you are a smart person. But that topic happens to be for a whole other forum entirely. Im simply stating facts that were divulged by yourself. You have had 3 tanks with in 9 months that have all failed. Im assuming there were live animals on some level in each one of those tanks. If you think that placing a live animal in an environment that is unable to sustain life is anything less then torture than you should give up this hobby. You come to a place like RC to get advice from people and you do the complete opposite. Real scholarly if you ask me. I am impressed however that it only took you one day to figure out your jerry rig fuge lamp was not a good idea. As far as the "required equipment" goes and how everything is included. Did your Biocube come with a skimmer? Well there would be many hobbyist on this forum that would say for the amount of fish you had in such a small tank it would require a skimmer. Or better yet Oceanic Systems themselves would probably recommend one considering they are now including them in their new HQI model. Did your Biocube come with a powerhead? What do you know another required piece of equipment. Did it come with a thermometer? How about a test kit? Was there a hydrometer in your box when you opened it? And if Im not mistaken there wasn't a heater in there either. Also excuse me for assuming that you had a Local Fish Store. I guess I got that idea from your #34 post in which you posted that your LFS did not have yet another piece of coral that your tank does not need. Good thing those ACT's don't ask for the definition of the word Local. No one WAS "flaming" or "bash" you. They were simply stating facts or at the very least giving you opinions that have came from years of experience. By the way Im 27 years old, and I've had my very 1st saltwater tank for 1 week now. But, unlike you I realize there are living things inside those pretty little clear cube filled with water, I do my homework and listen to the opinions and information that comes from people who have been doing this a lot longer than myself, and I actually have a LFS. That last one really doesn't matter a whole lot just stating another fact.
Lets test your maturity. Im sure you'll show more of it in your next post. This however will be my last in your thread so state your piece.

cmac23
03/04/2010, 11:06 PM
Once again your ability to read posts have failed you. Number one I have never claimed to be mature. I just pointed out that you were not. To further back up this theory I would like to point out that some how you think that the use of profane words directly reflects ones maturity level. Number two what does your ACT score have to do with your maturity level? As far as your ability to learn new information is suspect. Once you get out of High School and take some collegiate level classes you will learn that there are three main types of Intelligence. Just cause you happen to be analytical and able to score a 33 on an ACT does not prove you are a smart person. But that topic happens to be for a whole other forum entirely. Im simply stating facts that were divulged by yourself. You have had 3 tanks with in 9 months that have all failed. Im assuming there were live animals on some level in each one of those tanks. If you think that placing a live animal in an environment that is unable to sustain life is anything less then torture than you should give up this hobby. You come to a place like RC to get advice from people and you do the complete opposite. Real scholarly if you ask me. I am impressed however that it only took you one day to figure out your jerry rig fuge lamp was not a good idea. As far as the "required equipment" goes and how everything is included. Did your Biocube come with a skimmer? Well there would be many hobbyist on this forum that would say for the amount of fish you have in such a small tank would require a skimmer if you are not doing weekly water changes. Did your Biocube come with a powerhead? What do you know another required piece of equipment. Did it come with a thermometer? How about a test kit? Was there a hydrometer in your box when you opened it? And if Im not mistaken there wasn't a heater in there either. Also excuse me for assuming that you had a Local Fish Store. I guess I got that idea from your #34 post in which you posted that your LFS did not have yet another piece of coral that your tank is not in need of. Good thing those ACT's don't ask for the definition of the word Local. No one was "flaming" or "bash" you. They were simply stating facts or at the very least giving you opinions that have came from years of experience. By the way Im 27 years old, and I've had my very 1st saltwater tank for 1 week now but unlike you I do my homework and listen to the opinions and information that comes from people who have been doing this a lot longer than myself. Oh and I actually have a LFS but that last one really doesn't matter a whole lot.

+1 man. how is your biocube doing, just got my dry worck

JHall651
03/05/2010, 12:19 AM
Mine is doing good. Although i did just find my first confirmed worm. It was kind of a brick redish color and the tail end of it was a lighter red color. I could clearly see what looked like spines or what not coming off of it. I hope it is not anything that could mess with my inhabitants down the road. You know anything on this subject?

cman_pogey
03/05/2010, 12:23 AM
Once again your ability to read posts have failed you. Number one I have never claimed to be mature. I just pointed out the fact that you were not. To further back up this theory I would like to point out that some how you think that the use of profane words directly reflects ones maturity level. Number two what does your ACT score have to do with your maturity level? As far as your ability to learn new information is suspect. Once you get out of High School and take some collegiate level classes you will learn that there are three main types of Intelligence. Just cause you happen to be analytical and able to score a 33 on an ACT does not prove you are a smart person. But that topic happens to be for a whole other forum entirely. Im simply stating facts that were divulged by yourself. You have had 3 tanks with in 9 months that have all failed. Im assuming there were live animals on some level in each one of those tanks. If you think that placing a live animal in an environment that is unable to sustain life is anything less then torture than you should give up this hobby. You come to a place like RC to get advice from people and you do the complete opposite. Real scholarly if you ask me. I am impressed however that it only took you one day to figure out your jerry rig fuge lamp was not a good idea. As far as the "required equipment" goes and how everything is included. Did your Biocube come with a skimmer? Well there would be many hobbyist on this forum that would say for the amount of fish you had in such a small tank it would require a skimmer. Or better yet Oceanic Systems themselves would probably recommend one considering they are now including them in their new HQI model. Did your Biocube come with a powerhead? What do you know another required piece of equipment. Did it come with a thermometer? How about a test kit? Was there a hydrometer in your box when you opened it? And if Im not mistaken there wasn't a heater in there either. Also excuse me for assuming that you had a Local Fish Store. I guess I got that idea from your #34 post in which you posted that your LFS did not have yet another piece of coral that your tank does not need. Good thing those ACT's don't ask for the definition of the word Local. No one WAS "flaming" or "bash" you. They were simply stating facts or at the very least giving you opinions that have came from years of experience. By the way Im 27 years old, and I've had my very 1st saltwater tank for 1 week now. But, unlike you I realize there are living things inside those pretty little clear cube filled with water, I do my homework and listen to the opinions and information that comes from people who have been doing this a lot longer than myself, and I actually have a LFS. That last one really doesn't matter a whole lot just stating another fact.
Lets test your maturity. Im sure you'll show more of it in your next post. This however will be my last in your thread so state your piece.

"IMO his tank doesnt need to mature he does."

"Enjoy your spring break, im sure your tank will."

"P.S. 3 passed failed tanks...haha yea it was definitely the RO system."

No flaming? Apparently your failure to read even your own posts must have mislead you.

"You come to a place like RC to get advice from people and you do the complete opposite."

How so? I got rid the of the tang. Got rid of the gonipora. Am letting the tank fill in now. Yet again, if you had bothered to read your own posts(and my previous posts to other members, after all your not the only one commenting on this thread), then you would have realized this.

"If you think that placing a live animal in an environment that is unable to sustain life is anything less then torture than you should give up this hobby."

Once again, just for you.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0

"As far as the "required equipment" goes and how everything is included. Did your Biocube come with a skimmer? Well there would be many hobbyist on this forum that would say for the amount of fish you had in such a small tank it would require a skimmer. Or better yet Oceanic Systems themselves would probably recommend one considering they are now including them in their new HQI model. Did your Biocube come with a powerhead? What do you know another required piece of equipment. Did it come with a thermometer? How about a test kit? Was there a hydrometer in your box when you opened it? And if Im not mistaken there wasn't a heater in there either."

Well first off, I assumed (it was quite silly of me to make any assumptions what so ever when talking with you) that nearly all of these pieces of equipment were agiven, considering you cant exactly run a biocube, or saltwater tank for that matter without, a heater, hydrometer, thermometer, and powerhead. Just a little FYI, skimmers in the BioCube are worthless if you do water changes, I learned that on here.

The ACT? Well, lets just see if M.I.T. agrees with you on my intelligence ;)

The thing that bugs me about you? You see, I really am a nice guy, I am very outgoing and get along with %99.9 of people. In no post was I being nasty or mean to a single person on here, and tried to remain as calm and non chalant as I could. But what bugs me about you, is your blatant hate. The fact that you actually went out of your way, to tell me that my tank sucks, is, well, quite sad. That is why you really, really bug me. There was not a single way that I said anything negative to make you say this, you just decided to bring it upon yourself to just be an ***.

Well, I hope I could make myself very clear, in attempting to disect your post. It has been the utmost pleasure, but if you could kindly leave, I would appreciate it, thank you! And any posts made by you on this thread will result in me contacting the admin, cheers! :)

cman_pogey
03/05/2010, 12:29 AM
+1 man.

See below post. The same applies to you as well. Thanks.

AIMFish
03/06/2010, 08:05 AM
I'd start testing for pH, kh, calcium, and perhaps magnesium.