PDA

View Full Version : PO4 and nitrates

dwhanc00
02/11/2010, 06:52 PM
Now I am really confused. I just purchased an elos PO4 test kit and tested my tank twice. Reading was 0. Nitrates are also 0, although with a red sea test kit. I have a nasty hair algae problem and was just assuming it was PO4 or nitrates. Even with a cheap test kit for the nitrates I would expect if it was off the charts it would at least register something.

I know that excess algae can consume the PO4 to push readings to 0, but I would at least expect nitrates to be high. I started dosing vodka about 3 weeks ago. We have 130 gallons of water volume and I am now dosing 3.5 ml/day broken up twice daily (7 am and 7 pm). I also have read you can get algae outbreaks from PO4 within the rock. I do pick it out to try and control.

-Anything else that could cause it? Suggestions on getting rid of it. It is the nasty stuff that looks like ferns.
-Should I increase vodka amounts considering my readings are 0?
-Just purchased GFO and a reactor from BRS, would you run that considering the readings? Carbon?

bertoni
02/11/2010, 08:32 PM
It's not unusual for nitrate and phosphate to measure zero in tanks with algal problems. The problem might be food going into the tank, or nutrients that have built up over time.

Harvesting as much of the alga as is easy to get will help remove nutrients from the system. A GFO reactor can help, too, so I'd get that going. Carbon is fine to run, but doesn't help algae problems, as far as we can tell. It seems to have limited binding capacity.

I don't know enough about vodka dosing to help on that issue.

Psionicdragon
02/11/2010, 08:56 PM
It's not unusual for nitrate and phosphate to measure zero in tanks with algal problems. The problem might be food going into the tank, or nutrients that have built up over time.

Harvesting as much of the alga as is easy to get will help remove nutrients from the system. A GFO reactor can help, too, so I'd get that going. Carbon is fine to run, but doesn't help algae problems, as far as we can tell. It seems to have limited binding capacity.

I don't know enough about vodka dosing to help on that issue.

Agreed.

Also, your rocks could be really old and harbor so much stuff that it is just leeching out.

Vodka is limited though. I had 0 nitrate and quite a bit of phosphate. I had to redose nitrate in order for me to reduce my phosphate. I have hair algae, but the turbos own them.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/12/2010, 06:52 AM
I think running the GFO is a fine plan any time there is an algae problem., regardless of any measurements :)

dwhanc00
02/12/2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone! The GFO is going on today! I am going to get a seahare as well, hope he is hungry!

dwhanc00
02/12/2010, 07:36 AM
I know I read somewhere there is a way to hook a tube up to a powerhead to help suck out hair algae. Anyone know where to find that article or know of a DIY method?

vegaskid11
02/12/2010, 10:24 AM
A great idea I read about was where the guy takes a disposable razor and removes the thin blade. He then takes the blade and bends it to a circle to fit inside the end of a 1/2"+ vinyl tube. He leaves about a 1/4" of the blade sticking out of the tube, starts a siphon and starts mowing down algae. :beer:

looked like a fine idea for algae or even mushroom and zenia removal.

Genetics
02/12/2010, 12:57 PM
-Should I increase vodka amounts considering my readings are 0?

Yes, even with nitrates reading zero increasing would help as you need to find a dose that consumes enough to outcompete algae growth.

-Just purchased GFO and a reactor from BRS, would you run that considering the readings? Carbon?

GFO is a great way to remove phosphates.

dwhanc00
02/12/2010, 01:06 PM
Vegas, any chance you have a link that shows how he did it? Or at least were you remember reading it?

Genetic: Thanks, I am going to increase my vodka this evening. Probably go with 4.5 ml/day. GFO is going on tonight! Thanks!

rigleautomotive
02/12/2010, 01:09 PM
First, drink some of the vodka. second buy a good critter pack,ie.snails,hermits etc...third do weekly water changes of 25% with good 0 TDS RODI and a quality mix,and lastly pull as much out each week manually as humanly possibly.

vegaskid11
02/12/2010, 01:11 PM
Vegas, any chance you have a link that shows how he did it? Or at least were you remember reading it?

Here you go http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686361&highlight=disposable+razor+mushroom+removal