PDA

View Full Version : Why stop at just nori in the clip?

LobsterOfJustice
02/11/2010, 08:27 PM
I know a lot of people feed nori to their fish by use of a clip or some other securing system. I want to know if anyone else feeds other foods this way. For starters, different types of algaes. I feel like nori is nice but probably doesnt well represent all the different algal material our fish eat on a reef. I havent gotten around to diversifying algaes though. (this might have some promising options: http://www.sunfood.com/Catalog/CategorySearchResultsView.aspx?CategoryId=0&SearchTerm=dulse&Cid=&gclid=CIqvj4Hg658CFZpY2godFR8zYw ) But I have been putting other things like krill, silversides, even frozen cubes of mysis or cyclopeeze on my "clip." I plan on picking up some table shrimp and clam at the grocery as well. Seems to be really well received by the fish. Keeps fish like angels, tangs, and butterflies occupied for much longer than the minute or so that a traditional feeding lasts. Seems more natural for fish that are "pickers" as well, and a good way to diversify diet and offer different foods to angel/tang/butterfly "pickers" vs anthias etc planktivores.

jhawkor
02/11/2010, 09:10 PM
Following this. I currently just feed green and red Reef Nutrition algae but I would like to mix it up some...

LKGRenegade22
02/11/2010, 11:15 PM
I feed sheets in the clip but I also feed shredded sheets as flakes.

Jurgs
02/12/2010, 09:58 AM
I found that when i put the Nori on a clip they would just tear it off in a couple of min, so i put some on a rock and fix it there with elastic bands. This keeps them occupied for much longer and you actually see them swim off and come back to nibble.

saix88
02/12/2010, 10:13 AM
Instant Ocean came out with grazing blocks not to long ago.

LobsterOfJustice
02/12/2010, 10:19 AM
I found that when i put the Nori on a clip they would just tear it off in a couple of min, so i put some on a rock and fix it there with elastic bands. This keeps them occupied for much longer and you actually see them swim off and come back to nibble.

Interesting you say that, this is actually what I do too. I have a small piece of rock with a length of string tied to it. I rubberband foods to the rock and the string lets me drop it in and retrieve it without my hands getting wet.

jhawkor
02/12/2010, 11:32 AM
Instant Ocean came out with grazing blocks not to long ago.

That is the first I have heard of those. Has anyone tried them?

saix88
02/12/2010, 11:33 AM
That is the first I have heard of those. Has anyone tried them?

I haven't tried the block but I've tried the gel which works pretty good, it's a better alternative to frozen foods imo.

stunreefer
02/12/2010, 12:41 PM
I take half a clam shell and freeze a small amount of food on it. Toss it in the display tank and let the foragers go to town. If you use a gel based food (or make your own) it stays pretty well in the clam shell as they tear into it. This is a fantastic way to get fish that pick, rather than feed out of water column, to accept prepared foods.

Jasanden
02/12/2010, 01:21 PM
I feed clam , squid, octupus , nori ,pretty much whatever in a homemade winyl mesh bag wich I place in a veggie clip. That's the easiest way I found to feed my angel.

rharr21
02/12/2010, 01:46 PM
I've seen people put romaine lettuce in occasionally as a tang treat using the clip.

Amoore311
02/12/2010, 02:48 PM
Every few months I will buy some of the OGO Gracillaria and feed that exclusively until I run out. That goes into the clip just like the Nori would.

If I don't feed it exclusively it will rot before they eat it all.

Aside from that I feed green nori sheets only as far as veggies go. The fish won't touch any other nori. My tangs also get pellets and frozen foods as well though, but those are fed every other day.