PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone dose vodka?

Sinful Aquatics
02/11/2010, 08:40 PM
I am wondering if anyone with a nano doses vodka?? Thanks and let me know what your water params are.

Sinful Aquatics
02/12/2010, 12:01 AM
Guess not many people are...

Lagger
02/12/2010, 10:53 AM
I havent on my nano but Im thinking about it.

I think it's really beneficial for smaller tanks for nutrient export. Most nano tank owners feed too much/too often & end up with high nitrates. Larger tanks arent affected as much due to water volume, however nano's take a hit early & need help otherwise can cause brownouts if you arent careful...

fishieness
02/12/2010, 11:09 AM
I did for 8 months or so. Colors were already very good, but they lightened up a lot. I started getting cyano too, even though everything read 0. I cut the dosage in half and it started to disappear. I stopped about 2 months ago. Colors havent changed much, but are starting to color up more and the cyano is gone. I may try it again soon, but dont really have the need to at the moment.

Sinful Aquatics
02/12/2010, 01:32 PM
Where's the guide for dosing I don't see it on the other forum?

Hwang
02/14/2010, 11:37 PM
whats the supposed reason that vodka is helpful? just wondering

nattarbox
02/15/2010, 10:21 AM
I've been dosing vodka since the fall. I wrote up a post about how and why I've been dosing it on my blog:

http://aquariums.nattarbox.com/2010/01/reef-tank-cyanobacteria-defeated.html

The short story is I had elevated nitrates and nothing I tried would bring them down. The nitrates led to a massive problem with cyanobacteria. Vodka got the whole thing under control.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

Sinful Aquatics
06/08/2010, 12:51 PM
Anyone else have anything good to say about dosing vodka in your nano?