PDA

View Full Version : me vs dinoflagellates

warnutts
02/12/2010, 07:45 AM
Any tips on getting rid of this my tank is 3 months old 180 mixed reef.

It is most severe in my FUGE which is lit 24/7. Should i scrub it all off and let that water drain out i could care less about all the pods I have in there I just dont want this thing over running my DT. I can already see some of it in there unfortunately.

So i need some advice from you guys

-Should i keep my fuge light on 24/7 still while im fighting this (i plan to go lights out in my tank for a day or two)

-Should i clean out my fuge and drain all the water out and replace with new salt water? (i dont know if popping bubbles would cause it to spread even worse)

Im already going to

-run lots of carbon
-up my phosban reactor media
-limit feeding
-lights out 1-2 days

any other tips or advice from your guys experience with this algae would be nice

I have read that whole raising PH thing, but i guess ill try that if all this doesnt work.

Fish_wiz2
02/12/2010, 02:53 PM
What you're doing (carbon, GFO, feeding) sounds good, no need to get extreme and drain the sump or go lights out. Your tank is still very young so dinos showing up are a good sign. I would recommend cutting back on your fuge light though and replacing the bulb as i've notice algae to blow up with old bulbs. Hang in there and don't panic just yet. Wiz ;)

gowingsgo
02/12/2010, 03:22 PM
Here is a link that helped me out
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1620464

sharky's machin
02/12/2010, 03:40 PM
Lights out for your display and sump. I went 72 hours and it didn't hurt any corals.

warnutts
02/12/2010, 03:52 PM
i hear this stuff is toxic to fish and corals anyone lose livestock to this before?

waxy
02/12/2010, 05:09 PM
Here's a thread that was started by our locals.

His scenario and a few others were very severe.
Myself including, I had this years ago though. My tank was swarmed, I mean there was DF knee deep. I lost a lot of corals from the ordeal.

It's only toxic to corals, for fish they try to eat it but they'll be fine.
SPS's are very very sensitive.

Check out the thread you'll get a lot of info.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770765

DF is really serious, it's caused many reefers to quit for good.