PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with a couple of corals.

mcoomer
02/12/2010, 08:42 AM
Hello,
I have a Tyree Flower Petal and green Leprechaun Monti that I've had in my QT for about 3-4 weeks now with about a dozen other frags and they've been looking great. I check in on the tank everyday and several times a day when I'm working out in the garage. They've had good color and polyp extension since day one. Yesterday, I looked in the tank and was shocked to see that the monti is about 75% white with no polyps in that area but good polyp extension on the part that still has good color and the Tyree has a similar spot that is about 10% of it's total area. The spot on the Flower Petal was next to the monti and close enough that they were almost touching. I have two other monti cap frags a a cyphastrea right there and they look great, as do the other SPS frags I have on the frag rack. I pulled the two affected frags and looked for any parasites, held them in the stream of a powerhead to blow off any loose stuff (didn't see anything come off), and then placed them a bit higher in the QT and in a bit more flow.

So, what are some possible causes for sudden loss of color and polyp extension like this? There are no animals or crabs in the tank but there are some bristle worms, pods, and snails. Water is good. Is it possible that these corals haven't been happy since being put in the tank and finally decided to show it? Is there anything that I can do to try to help these pieces out other than moving them in the tank? I've thought about mixing up a batch of revive but I've held off doing it. Should I go ahead and move them in to the main tank so that they have better lighting and flow? Lemme know if you have any ideas what I might try beyond what I've done.

Thanks,
Mike

mcoomer
02/12/2010, 01:10 PM
Light is a 150W 14K sunpod so I think I'm good there. I will take a look at them again tonight and if they still look bad I probably will frag the good piece and see what happens to the rest. Pretty disappointing.

Mike