PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sump for nano cube?

Capslock118
02/12/2010, 10:15 AM
I've been trying to search for others who have perhaps done this so I can have a point of reference. More than likely I have poor searching skills though, my technique to search google does not translate well in forum searches.

At any rate, as we all know, the sumps on a nano cube (24g specifically) are a bit restrictive.

I cannot afford a hang-on protein skimmer and I have a aquac urchin from my old 60gal. I also wanted to add a refugium.

My idea was to purchase a couple of acrylic sheets and build a sump for the cabinet that came with the tank.

Has anyone done or seen this built before? I have a couple of ideas floating around in my head as to the exact design, but I can't tell if it would be practical.

Another idea I had was to just modify the urchin so it becomes a hang-on skimmer.

I have a 24g nano but it is the type of stand in this link (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+15559&pcatid=15559)that I have

chino402
02/13/2010, 07:41 AM
i wouldn't use a sump for this... it would be a waste of time... i think small system like that would do best if under religiously water changes.. 15-20% every 2 weeks..

mfinn
02/13/2010, 10:28 AM
i wouldn't use a sump for this... it would be a waste of time... i think small system like that would do best if under religiously water changes.. 15-20% every 2 weeks..

WHAT????

Any time you add volume to a tank, you gain.
Adding a sump, refugium and a skimmer is a huge plus.
Go for it.

Fishbulb2
02/13/2010, 10:31 AM
I just drilled my 7 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless for a sump. The main reason was to have a place to hide the heaters autotop off and such. I say go for it too.

Capslock118
02/14/2010, 11:41 AM

I agree with mfinn, the reason for me to add a sump is two fold.

1:To use my aquac urchin, so I do not have to buy/make a hang on skimmer or modify the urchin to become a hang on
2: To increase water volume

I also subscribe to the philosophy that water changes are unnecessary except for extreme cases; which is to say I do not believe in regularly scheduled water changes regardless of their frequency.

Also, building my own sump for the first time sounds like a fun project, not at all a waste of time; it's things like this that led me to this hobby.

I just drilled my 7 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless for a sump. The main reason was to have a place to hide the heaters autotop off and such. I say go for it too.

So this is interesting too. I do not know how I feel about drilling the glass. I am scared of breaking it. I know in theory it's safe, and I would practice first but I think I would build my own overflow box prior to cutting the glass.

mfinn
02/14/2010, 11:47 AM
I also subscribe to the philosophy that water changes are unnecessary except for extreme cases; which is to say I do not believe in regularly scheduled water changes regardless of their frequency.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one big time.
To me water changes are the single most important thing you can do for your tank.

Mastermind
02/14/2010, 12:20 PM
i'm going to disagree with you on this one big time.
To me water changes are the single most important thing you can do for your tank.

+1

jacobolito
02/14/2010, 12:55 PM
i say go for it! build the sump. sometimes we dont have the time to do scheduled water changes. this should buy you a little more time.

im building a sump (20g long) for my jbj nano 28. there are no negatives to adding a sump. except using more electricity.

mfinn
02/14/2010, 12:59 PM
sometimes we dont have the time to do scheduled water changes.

With a small tank, skipping water changes is the last thing you should do.

Patroclus
02/14/2010, 01:25 PM
What ever happened to having a sump AND doing water changes. Maybe I'm old school or something.

Rensmif
02/14/2010, 04:39 PM
With a small tank, skipping water changes is the last thing you should do.

absolutly true, small tanks are not forgiving

Capslock118
02/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Well Consider this,

With my nano, anytime I've done a water change it's been a mess. I end up turning over the sand bed and then the tank become a cloud for hours on end - poor inhabitants are not too happy about that. My 60 gal was consuming about 1-2gal a day so a water change didnt make sense with that tank. Anyways aside from my current alk/calcium problem right now I've never had levels so off to a point that a water change was necessary. Maybe I have the wrong understanding.

You've given me a great idea though. Ill setup ball valves on he in/out lines to/from the display tank and a ball valve at the bottom of the new sump. This way I can do water changes in the sump and deactivate the sump from the main tank while I do that. The nanos built in sump can be used as the temporary sump while a water change takes place.

HulaDad
02/14/2010, 05:40 PM
Well Consider this,
You've given me a great idea though. Ill setup ball valves on he in/out lines to/from the display tank and a ball valve at the bottom of the new sump. This way I can do water changes in the sump and deactivate the sump from the main tank while I do that. The nanos built in sump can be used as the temporary sump while a water change takes place.

+1 I unplug the return pump on my sump for my Solana, and do all my water changes from there. The tank never knows it's even happening. The pump in the back of the tank stays running all of the time. My tank isn't drilled either...

HulaDad
02/14/2010, 06:01 PM
Here's a link to my tank, its a 34g Solana, with a 10g sump under the tank. Well worth the time invested. I change 5g of water from the sump every week, and the only thing I have to dose is food. I also have the thread where I built my own overflow box to in the DIY section.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766815