PDA

View Full Version : My haddoni is splitting...

beefcake78
02/12/2010, 10:31 AM
My haddoni is splitting...

At least that what it looks like. I was under the impression that it is very rare that these split in captivity. When I took this shot I had just turned my lights back on. My carpet was all lifted up like this and releasing a milky substance. I turned the lights back on video taped some of it and grabbed this pic.

Anybody else with carpets run into this?

garygb
02/12/2010, 11:16 AM
I don't see the split in that pic. You mentioned the milky substance, that sounds like spawning, which isn't unusual. As far as I know, S. haddoni don't split (either in aquariums or nature).

beefcake78
02/12/2010, 11:56 AM
take a close look at seperation.. I have marked it in black. The seperation has progressed closer to the mouth over the last month or so.

reefdogg1107
02/12/2010, 12:13 PM
Thats really weird because I have never heard of a haddoni splitting. Was it injured at all?

Toddrtrex
02/12/2010, 12:18 PM
From what I posted in your other thread,

Wouldn't say expert, but thanks.

I have yet to see/hear of an Haddoni splitting, budding yes, but not splitting. You state that there was a milky substance coming out, was it from the mouth? That very well could have been it spawning, and the mouth will look different during that time.

Is it possible to get a top down shot, at get a shot of the mouth. That one picture looks just like mine did when it was spawning -- sort of like a trumpet.

Here are some pics of when mine spawned,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Hspawn2.jpg

Can sort of see the mouth here,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Hspawn1.jpg

FTS -- can see how it has trumpeted.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Hspawn.jpg

beefcake78
02/12/2010, 02:28 PM
yes for sure it was spawning. There is also a very large tenticle as well when I say large its considerably larger and different shape than all the rest.

Its really healthy and has grown, actively eats and never retracts. I will grab some better pics tonight. At first I thought it was just folded but I can pull up the flap and it is two peices. There is no necrosis. Big mystery to me.

beefcake78
02/12/2010, 02:29 PM
Toddrtrex.. Beautiful tank by the way

garygb
02/12/2010, 08:35 PM
Oh, I see the split now that you pointed it out. If it is splitting, that's very different from BTAs and H. mags that split by basically pulling themselves apart, one clone going one direction and the other going the opposite way.

AJ69
02/14/2010, 07:15 AM
thanks for sharing

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2010, 07:23 AM
looks more like a tear than a split to me......

beefcake78
02/14/2010, 10:17 PM
its doing it to itself. each day the two folds push on each other and it is moving towards the mouth.

beefcake78
02/14/2010, 10:17 PM
I will get some better pics

Slickcg33
02/14/2010, 10:26 PM
looks more like a tear than a split to me......

+1
It might appear to be doing it itself, but picture a tear in clothing... it always gets bigger.

Or look at it this way. If it wasnt doing it itself, how would a tear look? Also what would happen over time if anemone did have a tear in it and didnt heal lol?

beefcake78
02/15/2010, 10:11 AM
When a bta splits all its doing is also tearing itself apart. I will keep this updated over time. with new pics.

Toddrtrex
02/19/2010, 05:56 PM
nice tank beef.

FYI, a bunch of posts like this can/will be removed, if you are only doing that to get to 50 posts.

garygb
02/19/2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah Beef, when a BTA splits it pulls itself apart. The base divides and the tear goes right through the mouth and then the two clones tend to repair to opposite sides of the liverock or sometimes the larger clone will stay put and the smaller clone will be the one that moves away. You can often see the liverock through the mouth as it pulls itself apart. This is essentially the same thing that H. magnifica does, too.