PDA

View Full Version : Placing an under tank sump on a slide out shelf

mmfish
02/12/2010, 03:08 PM
It would be a lot easier if the sump tank could slide out from under the tank. I have a 4inch ledge in the front it would need to pass over. I checked at Lowe's today and found the highest rated shelf slide holds only 100 lbs. Has anyone found a way to do this?

~reefchik~
02/12/2010, 09:59 PM
What if you built your own using metal ball-bearing wheels, set on tracks underneath? You'd need something very, very sturdy that's for sure.

mrbigshot
02/12/2010, 10:21 PM
you could mount coasters upside down underneath the board, it will be the supports. when it gets to the end it will be much more difficult.

why do you need to remove the sump?

olkeller
02/12/2010, 10:29 PM
I know they have higher rated ball bearing slides than that I have used them alot I would be more worried about them holding up in that kind of enviroment.

http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/Slide/Default.asp

They have a buch of differnt ones 100lbs IMO is not enough there is a difference at fully extended.

olkeller
02/12/2010, 10:30 PM
There was a tank that looked like a race car it had a roll out tank.

mmfish
02/13/2010, 09:10 AM
you could mount coasters upside down underneath the board, it will be the supports. when it gets to the end it will be much more difficult.

why do you need to remove the sump?

Why slide out the sump? To clean and service it. It seems so absurd to set up lighting in your stand and never getting full access to the sump and it's various fittings, etc. Unfortunately, aquarium stand makers never considered this as it would be an easier proposition if there was no lower stand ledge. Instead the same amount of cross support could be achieved with a metal brace system just below the tank.

FranktheTankTx
02/13/2010, 10:52 AM
I built a "rolling" sump" one time on my old 36g (upgrade to 54g) corner tank. I grabbed some plywood, & several of the desk chair/filing cabinet wheels & mounted them underneath. The sump wasn't all that heavy & easily maneuvered in & out for regular maintinance. I can't recall what those wheels were called - but I could walk right into the store & find them.

It was built like a rock & worked flawlessly for almost a year - until I moved on with a bigger sump.

syrinx
02/13/2010, 10:55 AM
If you have a drilled tank you are going to try this idea on- make sure that you build in a failsafe to keep from putting any torque on the bulkheads. A sure way to a cracked tank is a good blow to hard plumbing, ora good tug on flexible.

mmfish
02/13/2010, 11:22 AM
If you have a drilled tank you are going to try this idea on- make sure that you build in a failsafe to keep from putting any torque on the bulkheads. A sure way to a cracked tank is a good blow to hard plumbing, ora good tug on flexible.

All that's needed is a coil of flexible tubing to allow a 18" outward travel. Another concern with a slide out shelf supporting the sump, is the additional downward pull on the stand. I am sure stands are not designed for this either. The only way reef keeping moves forward is to consider new ideas. Remember bio-balls?

syrinx
02/13/2010, 12:04 PM
That will work- i would use some sort of a strain relief to secure the flex to the stand so if there is a problem the stand takes the torque. You could use angle stock to make a track and secure it to the wall behind the tank taking the stand out of the equation. That would also allow you to use drawer hardware- which comes in high weight handling sizes. I am all for experimenting- there needs to be no reason other than wanting to tackle a new task. I remember bio balls- I still have them in my reef...........in my ETSS skimmer!