PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing older unit

ChadTheSpike
02/12/2010, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I have an RO/DI setup that I purchased about 10 years back with a whole bunch of replacement parts from an LFS that was going out of business...

Fast forward 10 years and I am out of extra cartridges for the unit that I have and would like to refurbish it if I can, and if not... well, we can get to that if we need to ;)

I have a 5 stage system, three carbon filters, a 100gpd membrane, a DI chamber, a pressure pump, and a 2 gallon tank. My unit was manufactured by "water general".

I last replaced the membrane a little over a year ago (I use ~15 gallons a week filtering pretty nasty city water) and I am sure at this point that it needs to be replaced, I have ammonia in my effluent.

Are the membranes/carbon filters interchangable between brands? If they are, what parts would make adequate replacements? Or am I looking at needing a whole new system?

Thank you for your help

Chad

Buckeye Hydro
02/12/2010, 05:21 PM
Those water general systems used standard sized filters, so all our filters should fit your system.

Sou your system has 3 vertical housings below the bracket, and the RO and horizontal DI above the bracket, right?

Russ

ChadTheSpike
02/12/2010, 09:53 PM
Russ,

Thank you for the response, I greatly appreciate it.

Yep thats correct three vertical housings, and two horizontal ones (the DI housing is clear), what replacement filters do you recommend I get?

Buckeye Hydro
02/12/2010, 10:30 PM
Are you wanting to improve the configuration of that system, or are you looking to keep it pretty much the way it is and just replace the filters?

ChadTheSpike
02/13/2010, 07:46 AM
I wouldnt mind improving it a bit... I dont trust the DC water at all... (Just moved here a little over a year ago) they add chlorine and choramines to the water.

ChadTheSpike
02/16/2010, 02:14 PM
Any suggestions?

Buckeye Hydro
02/16/2010, 05:13 PM
Sure. So we can sanitize it and put filters in it essentially like you once had, or a little better. That will leave you with a horizontal DI.

If you're up for it, you can dis-assemble the system a bit, and turn the third prefilter into vertical, full size, refillable, DI resin stage.

If that's too much, we can leave it configured as is, and add an add on DI kit.

What floats your boat?

Russ

ChadTheSpike
02/16/2010, 05:42 PM
What is the advantage of having two DI stages?

I dont mind doing a bit of disassembly work... most of my system is DIY ;)

What parts should I purchase?

Buckeye Hydro
02/16/2010, 06:10 PM
Any chance you can call in? Its a little involved, and if you could call in with your system in front of you that would help.

Russ

ChadTheSpike
02/16/2010, 06:23 PM
Sure, is tonight good?

Buckeye Hydro
02/17/2010, 03:25 AM
How about today sometime between 9 and 11 AM, or between 3 and 8 PM?

Russ

ChadTheSpike
02/17/2010, 06:25 AM
Ok, Ill call when I get home from work tonight ~5:30ish.
Thanks
Chad

ChadTheSpike
02/19/2010, 12:18 PM
Russ,

Do you all have weekend hours?

I have tried a couple of times a week, but with my work hours I have been unable to get through. Otherwise, I will have to call from work, where I will not have my unit in front of me.

Thanks!

Chad

Buckeye Hydro
02/19/2010, 12:29 PM
This weekend is just fine. Sorry you have trouble getting through. Seems like the phone calls have been coming in hot and heavy of late.

Russ

ChadTheSpike
02/19/2010, 02:45 PM
No problem, same to you... You have returned all of the calls I left messages for :)

Ill call Saturday morning sometime.

Thanks,

Chad