PDA

View Full Version : Fluke Experience Wanted

blface
02/12/2010, 06:16 PM
The following pic is of my adult P. imperator. I've had him for about 2 months now. It has already gone threw two Prazipro treatments & a round of Cupramine.
It appears to have what I would ID as flukes again. Please look at photo & help me confirm.
If it's flukes again why is this the only fish out of 18 to have them again?? Are fish fluke resistant over time?? Wouldn't my other angels also have them?
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/thiellei/Emperor2-12-10.jpg

jd474
02/12/2010, 11:56 PM
Even though he appears to have some benedinia, it doesn't necessarily mean any of your other fish will pick it up, just that there is potential for it. We generally use praziquantel at 4 mg/L for 3 weeks (most only recommend dosages of 2 mg/L, however), but you'll probably need a Vet Rx for it. You could try a longer freshwater dip, also. Typically we'll do 5-8 minutes, once every other day. I've done this with large angels before, and they handle it fine, just keep them moving, and see if it falls off.

Are you treating in tank, or in a QT? They are egg layers, so if you don't treat in-tank, you're going to keep repeating the issue.

LargeAngels
02/13/2010, 08:29 AM
It is reallty hard to tell if a fish has flukes unless you see them on the eyes. I can't really tell anything from the pics. Best way to check is to do a FW and take it from there.

jnc914
02/13/2010, 09:04 AM
We need a closer pic, however based on the one that you provided the spot on the fin doesn't appear to be fluke. Is it's fins ragged, is he twitching and darting? If you put it though two treatments of Prazi it is very doubtful that fish still has fluke. However, with that being said, fluke can also lay eggs in the gills and some believe that the liquid Prazi is not effective against the eggs. I have been told the powdered Prazi is stronger and thus more effective.

blface
02/13/2010, 09:37 AM
I'm referring to the spots on the pectoral fins. They have just appeared over the last couple of days. They look like flukes to me. I did treat the entire tank & all of my remaining fish have gone thru at least 4 doses of Prazipro. That's why I was wondering if they have become resistant to the flukes where as the emp. is the newest fish & the least resistant.

jd474
02/13/2010, 11:02 AM
I guess I was giving the benefit of the doubt, and that you were referring to his eyes (likely the first place they would show). Those don't look like flukes on his fins, IMO anyway.

Fungia
09/08/2010, 08:53 PM
Even though he appears to have some benedinia, it doesn't necessarily mean any of your other fish will pick it up, just that there is potential for it. We generally use praziquantel at 4 mg/L for 3 weeks (most only recommend dosages of 2 mg/L, however), but you'll probably need a Vet Rx for it. You could try a longer freshwater dip, also. Typically we'll do 5-8 minutes, once every other day. I've done this with large angels before, and they handle it fine, just keep them moving, and see if it falls off.

Are you treating in tank, or in a QT? They are egg layers, so if you don't treat in-tank, you're going to keep repeating the issue.

please help.

just wanted to confirm. 1 got 50mg praziquentel in 1 tablet. Say 4mg/L If 2000L tank means I need 160 tablet?:hmm3:

flameangel88
09/08/2010, 09:06 PM
Personally the best way to be sure is a 4 min FW dip.

Fungia
09/09/2010, 03:55 AM

ya, But the problem is they keep coming back after 2 weeks time.

flameangel88
09/09/2010, 06:21 AM
ya, But the problem is they keep coming back after 2 weeks time.

Sorry, I didn't see any mention here that flukes been coming back every two weeks. If it was then there's a problem with the treatment or they're getting immune to the med. The 4 min FW dip suggestion was simply addressing to the OP.

SDguy
09/09/2010, 07:58 AM

Actually, I like to do 10 minute dips, especially if the fish is otherwise relatively well adjusted.

And yeah, I agree, the FW dip is just to confirm the flukes, and alleviate immediate stress (especially if the fish is twiching and darting around, as someone previously mentioned).

Then multiple rounds of prazi.

jd474
09/09/2010, 08:00 AM
please help.

just wanted to confirm. 1 got 50mg praziquentel in 1 tablet. Say 4mg/L If 2000L tank means I need 160 tablet?:hmm3:

ygpm.

FW dips are really only effective if used prophylactically or for temporary relief, as you're not treating the system and the chances for subsequent outbreaks would be very high.

jonbry123
09/09/2010, 09:30 PM
Flukes will not likely adhere to fins. They will imbed themselves under the scales and within the gills. A 10 minute FW dip will cause most to fall off the fish. I've dealt with this before. If your going to do a FW dip make sure you use RO/DI or distilled water is the same temp as the tank along with the PH and has been well airated before you do this. Angels tolerate this well and should be done when you first purchase them if not being placed in QT. General signs of flukes which are very common on angels are scratching, twitching and in advanced stages rapid breathing. The FW dip will cause most to fall off but has to be for 10 minutes. Flukes are known to survive for up to 6 minutes in FW. Use a clear bowl/tube whatever. I generally use a rubbermaid tube to remove the fish afterwards and place immediately back in the tank. If it is flukes you will see them on the bottom and will have a clear to whitish color and are somewhat round. Do not put any of the water you did the dip in back into the tank. Prazipro is then used in the tank. I have not found it to harm any inverts I have.