PDA

View Full Version : Adding more T5s

triguy
02/12/2010, 11:17 PM
For the past two years, I have been running 4x54w T5 on Icecap ballast. While over at another reefers house, I realized I could squeeze in two more T5s. The new bulbs are on a separate Universal Triad electronic ballast.

Now that I have them in the canopy, should I use some screen since I am adding more light or is this not going to affect the coral (acclimate)? Also wanted to know if it is safe to just lay this ballast on the back of my stand. I'm not a big electrical person, but it doesn't have a heatsink like the Icecap. Just want to make sure.

By the way, what do you think about this bulb combo:
B+
KZ Fiji Purple
Aquablue Special
B+
KZ Coral LIght
B+

wolverinereefer
02/12/2010, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't run a screen. If it were me i would watch how my corals respond. If they dont your fine if the start closing and shriviling up. I would just put them on a time or egg crate.

I love the combo. I run 6 bulb on wh 5's

B+
kz purp
B+
B+
kz purp
b+

Your's will be brighter on the IC ballast. If it were me i would obviously ditch the aqua blue special.since your pushing blue + on an IC.which i originally started with in my mix but found the to wash out my color too much and im a blue tank fan. Put another fiji or blue + in that aqua spot.
I love the color combo and im getting ready to add two more bulbs and im gonna play with some other combos..maybe add a kz blue.

I think the par on ice cap with these bulbs is astonishing for the color your getting. It will look great and color just POP!

wolverinereefer
02/12/2010, 11:51 PM
sorry for the bad spelling my keyboard is on the fritz!

Zac

triguy
02/12/2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do have other B+ and Fiji Purple bulbs. Any preference? do you have any tank shots so I can see what look you get.

triguy
02/13/2010, 04:36 PM
any other suggestions?

OrrG
02/13/2010, 04:53 PM
What 4 bulbs are you using currently? That combo should be pretty nice, real similar to what I ran at first, 4 Blue Plus, 1 Figi, and 1 Special, I liked it but still a little to white for me. I recentely switched and now use 5 Blue Plus and 1 Figi Purple. It's got a nice 20k look, not too blue though.

The Figi is a lot whiter than you may think and the Special is very white, 12k. Wish I could share some pics but my camerea sucks and any picture I take looks nothing like how the tank looks in person.

triguy
02/13/2010, 08:56 PM
4 bulbs currently running are from front to back:
B+
Fiji Purple
Aquablue Special
B+
I hooked up the other two bulbs and I really like the look of these two alone.
KZ Coral Light
B+
Haven't seen them all together since I don't know if I should use some screen material to acclimate.