PDA

View Full Version : swapping the control unit

Rogger Castells
02/12/2010, 11:40 PM
I bought a new style control unit a while ago thinking that I will keep it until my original unit failed as it had accidentally gotten wet, well, its been over a year and it never went bad, but I would like to change the unit anyway, is this as easy as back up the programing, disconnect the old unit, and connect the new one in any open USB?
Will the new unit automatically p/u the programing or do I need to use my computer to restore it to the new unit, if so, how do I do that?

TIA

RobbyG
02/15/2010, 05:19 PM
I woulds personaly just reprogram it from scratch. I am not impressed with the backup and restore feature as sometimes it ID's the components wrong and it takes longer to fix than just going at the start from scratch.

My 2 Cents.. :)

coffeenut
02/17/2010, 12:52 PM
I woulds personaly just reprogram it from scratch. I am not impressed with the backup and restore feature as sometimes it ID's the components wrong and it takes longer to fix than just going at the start from scratch.

My 2 Cents.. :)

I disagree.. as long as you replug in the powerbars and devices in one at a time, and document, you will never have any confusion...
I have 5 PB with lots of components.. it would take HOURS to reprogram from scratch.... i can reset/reload a controller in about 20 min

RobbyG
02/18/2010, 03:01 PM
Guess it's a matter of preference, but I always prefer a fresh reprogram.

nemo's janitor
02/20/2010, 05:40 AM
I disagree.. as long as you replug in the powerbars and devices in one at a time, and document, you will never have any confusion...
I have 5 PB with lots of components.. it would take HOURS to reprogram from scratch.... i can reset/reload a controller in about 20 min

I always do what you say. However just a word of advice. Disconnect the PH interface and do a system save on the old controller before you attempt the swap. Sometimes the new controller recognises the Ph interface as a temp sensor. You will have errors and will have to do as RobbyG says. So just in case have a config saved without the PH interface.

my 2 c

It is important not to just swop the controller. You MUST connect one item at a time.

Rogger Castells
02/26/2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback, My experience changing this controller was a hair short from a nightmare! It was not an easy task at all and I found very little info in the instruction manual for the restoring process.
I was up all night pupping bricks cause my entire tank went to a stand still, nothing was powered, when I was finally able to re-install the program in the new controller the power bars were not recognized in the right order and therefore each one had the others programing, it took several attempts to restore to choose the right programing for each power bar and even then, my monitor shows a series of icons on top of the power bar 1 that appears as if all the outlets are powered when they are actually being controlled, Needless to say, If I had to do it again I will do it from scratch and take the time to write down every command for later input, my .50cts