PDA

View Full Version : Official Proof of Stomatopod Intelligence?

blackwidow
02/13/2010, 07:37 AM
Amazing Puzzlesolver Specimen:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uTdTRXNdEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uTdTRXNdEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

comments please:bigeyes:

acrodave
02/13/2010, 08:08 AM
its a cool vid. but please tell me you dont belive that

blackwidow
02/13/2010, 08:16 AM
its a cool vid. but please tell me you dont belive that

Of course, ask Dr.Caldwell I believe he has performed similar tests on peacock mantis shrimps with a smasher form of Sudoku.

synapz
02/13/2010, 09:19 AM
certain behavior doesnt necessarily equate intelligence, its just behavior. For all we know their advanced sensory adaptations do most of their information processing and give them the appearance of intelligence. After all they do not have that big of a brain.

Our definition of intelligence may not fit for stomatopods exactly so we may be overstating it.

They do get their jobs done I will say.

blackwidow
02/13/2010, 09:22 AM
certain behavior doesnt necessarily equate intelligence, its just behavior. For all we know their advanced sensory adaptations do most of their information processing and give them the appearance of intelligence. After all they do not have that big of a brain.

Our definition of intelligence may not fit for stomatopods exactly so we may be overstating it.

They do get their jobs done I will say.

haha mantis shrimp can solve rubik cubes faster than you :D:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3::hammer::lolspin:

Yogre
02/13/2010, 09:28 AM
My N. wennerae can do the Friday crossword in USAToday. He taps the answers in Morse code, I write 'em down for him. The paper gets too soggy for him to do it himself.

synapz
02/13/2010, 09:39 AM
haha mantis shrimp can solve rubik cubes faster than you :D:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3::hammer::lolspin:

Maybe lol, but the video is fake and they dont have the appendages to actually shift a rubik's cube.

blackwidow
02/13/2010, 09:42 AM
My N. wennerae can do the Friday crossword in USAToday. He taps the answers in Morse code, I write 'em down for him. The paper gets too soggy for him to do it himself.

very interesting Yogre, tell me did you make these observations under clinical conditions?
yet more proof for the pudding! Are there any others out there with smart stomatopods.... Tell us what yours can do :hammer::hammer::bigeyes:

blackwidow
02/13/2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe lol, but the video is fake and they dont have the appendages to actually shift a rubik's cube.

Lets wait for Dr.Caldwell to be the judge of that! After all he is the expert:smurf:

gozermantis
02/13/2010, 09:54 AM
my mantis can beat up your honor roll mantis

Yogre
02/13/2010, 09:57 AM
very interesting Yogre, tell me did you make these observations under clinical conditions?
yet more proof for the pudding! Are there any others out there with smart stomatopods.... Tell us what yours can do :hammer::hammer::bigeyes:

Nah, it was just something we started doing on Friday afternoon, sittin' around drinking beer. Well, actually I was drinking beer, he was chillin' in the tank, mellowed out from the vodka I had just dosed.

synapz
02/13/2010, 01:21 PM
Lets wait for Dr.Caldwell to be the judge of that! After all he is the expert:smurf:

There's a reason that vid doesnt actually show the mantis shifting the cube haha. You need the right rotation/leverage for it to move.

Koshmar
02/14/2010, 12:42 AM

I believe it was Dr. Caldwell shot that video and he said he was just playing around. Plus there was a long debate thread over whether a stomatopod or cephalopod is the more intelligent of the two back in the archives. We can't even accurately judge our own species' intelligence on an individual basis so what makes you think anyone could quantitatively measure another animal's intelligence?

born
02/16/2010, 01:49 AM
My peacock knows how to read. I showed him my drivers license. I watched his eyes move horizontally, then he looked at the picture then up at me. He reads at a 6th grade level. lol

Gonodactylus
02/16/2010, 09:47 AM
SYNAPZ,

You are wrong about one thing. Stomatopods do have the appendages necessary to manipulate the puzzle. The 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th maxillipeds can exert forces in opposite directions causing sections of the cube to rotate. Such behavior is useful when breaking apart snails and crabs and pulling pieces of flesh from inside the shell. The animal using in the cube video was trained to break a glass cover glued over a hole in a cube that contained a piece of shrimp. The stomatopod in the video was inspecting the cube trying to find the glass to break.

Most of you know that I don't engage in discussions of "intelligence" in stomatopods or octopus, stomatopods do possess some interesting behaviors and morphology that make their behavior unusally flexible and adaptable. Aside from having manipulative appendages, they are the only invertebrate that I know that will pick up an object and visually inspect it. They also show a primitive type of tool use, selecting anvils on which to smash snails and choosing and retaining appropriate sized and shaped objects to close the entrance of their cavity.

The also adjust their prey selection behavior appropriate to local conditions. In one experiment that we ran on selection of different sized prey, they took small shells close to their cavity. Even though this did not yield more net return (calories gained vs those expended), it probably did reduce wear and tear on the raptorial appendages. On the other hand, when they had to go further obtain a shell, they selected larger shells, cutting down the number of trips necessary thereby reducing the risk. How do we know this, shells selected were large when a predator (fish behind glass) was present.

Such flexibility in behavior may not allow stomatopod to solve cubes, but neither can I. I had to physically take the thing apart and put it back together again to stage the last shot.

Roy

acrodave
02/16/2010, 11:21 AM
Such flexibility in behavior may not allow stomatopod to solve cubes, but neither can I. I had to physically take the thing apart and put it back together again to stage the last shot.

Roy

lol nice i hear you..

synapz
02/16/2010, 01:39 PM
SYNAPZ,

You are wrong about one thing. Stomatopods do have the appendages necessary to manipulate the puzzle. The 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th maxillipeds can exert forces in opposite directions causing sections of the cube to rotate. Such behavior is useful when breaking apart snails and crabs and pulling pieces of flesh from inside the shell. The animal using in the cube video was trained to break a glass cover glued over a hole in a cube that contained a piece of shrimp. The stomatopod in the video was inspecting the cube trying to find the glass to break.

Most of you know that I don't engage in discussions of "intelligence" in stomatopods or octopus, stomatopods do possess some interesting behaviors and morphology that make their behavior unusally flexible and adaptable. Aside from having manipulative appendages, they are the only invertebrate that I know that will pick up an object and visually inspect it. They also show a primitive type of tool use, selecting anvils on which to smash snails and choosing and retaining appropriate sized and shaped objects to close the entrance of their cavity.

The also adjust their prey selection behavior appropriate to local conditions. In one experiment that we ran on selection of different sized prey, they took small shells close to their cavity. Even though this did not yield more net return (calories gained vs those expended), it probably did reduce wear and tear on the raptorial appendages. On the other hand, when they had to go further obtain a shell, they selected larger shells, cutting down the number of trips necessary thereby reducing the risk. How do we know this, shells selected were large when a predator (fish behind glass) was present.

Roy

maybe, I just remember my cubes having alot of friction :D. I have seen my mantis lift surprisingly large rocks so I could have misjudged their strength.

Financial Panth
02/16/2010, 02:07 PM
Thats nothing. My dog does my taxes.

blackwidow
02/17/2010, 05:10 AM
Thats nothing. My dog does my taxes.

nothing compared to rubik cubes or sudoku:wildone:

NoobySWkeeper
02/20/2010, 06:28 PM
Sometimes my cat can open cans, doors, and solve RUBIKZ CUBE?!?1/1?!/1?!