PDA

View Full Version : life expectancy

dudley moray
02/13/2010, 10:45 PM
I was reading about acropora sp and saw something intriguing this article said the life expectancy of acropora sp more specifically A.humilus was 5-7 years is there any truth to this ?:fish1::fish1::fish1:

spsal23
02/13/2010, 10:48 PM
under the proper parameters, corals live forever.

dudley moray
02/13/2010, 11:00 PM
yes but are proper params ocean or tank my thought is why would anyone spend any amount of money on a coral that only lived 7 years at best !

fullmonti
02/14/2010, 07:49 AM
Why keep sps?
Thats a good question. As far as I know they can & do live for a Very long time. They also very suddenly or very slowly die, & you may or may not ever figure out why. They are very beautiful, challenging, rewording, frustrating. So why keep sps, may be masochism, may be the beauty is worth the trouble?

drparker
02/14/2010, 07:54 AM
I was reading about acropora sp and saw something intriguing this article said the life expectancy of acropora sp more specifically A.humilus was 5-7 years is there any truth to this ?:fish1::fish1::fish1: Is that the whole colony or the individual polyp? How does fragging affect this?

dudley moray
02/14/2010, 03:11 PM
there was no statement made about colony or polyp just the vague statement about life expectancy i would assume it was colony as for fragging that should ensure an indefinite life span

dudley moray
02/14/2010, 03:13 PM
Why keep sps?
Thats a good question. As far as I know they can & do live for a Very long time. They also very suddenly or very slowly die, & you may or may not ever figure out why. They are very beautiful, challenging, rewording, frustrating. So why keep sps, may be masochism, may be the beauty is worth the trouble?

the reason i asked the question was if this is so i should get good at fragging to make sure i can keep my extensive collection of sps for more than a couple years ! "or to simply point out an outrageous claim made by a misinformed individual!

SpankythePyro
02/14/2010, 03:14 PM
indeterminant lifespan

limited only by disease/water conditions/predation

cindre2000
02/14/2010, 04:38 PM
yes but are proper params ocean or tank my thought is why would anyone spend any amount of money on a coral that only lived 7 years at best !

Why buy a dog, cat, hamster, or guinea pig for that matter?

---

I do recall reading somewhere that some pocillopora and acros are only thought to live a decade at most. Maybe it was Eric Borneman's book?

fullmonti
02/14/2010, 04:44 PM
I once saw a post that said we should all give not sell frags to our friends, one for back up for if/when you have a crash & to promote the hobby. Sps are finicky & even the best sps keepers seem to have an occasional mishap. I am just now getting to the point where I can start trading frags exactly for these reasons.

coralpimp2009
02/28/2010, 09:36 AM
you are the type of person this hobby needs more of!
most everyone you meet now in this hobby wants to charge you for a name instead of a coral! notice how its near impossible to buy a colony now a days? everything are frags with an outragous price!

I once saw a post that said we should all give not sell frags to our friends, one for back up for if/when you have a crash & to promote the hobby. Sps are finicky & even the best sps keepers seem to have an occasional mishap. I am just now getting to the point where I can start trading frags exactly for these reasons.