PDA

View Full Version : Will this shrimp kill fish?<m>

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 06:01 AM
I have mysteriosly lost 3 clown fish--is this guy the culprit?

dirk_brijs
02/14/2010, 06:04 AM
the great invisable shrimp very deadly

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 06:07 AM
the great invisable shrimp very deadly

Sorry--I dont know how to attach a pic from my HD--I did it wrong, obviously.
:sad2:

CBehr
02/14/2010, 07:50 AM
Most likely not unless it's one of the spearing type mantis shrimp. Can you describe the shrimp?

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 07:59 AM
Most likely not unless it's one of the spearing type mantis shrimp. Can you describe the shrimp?`

Thanks for the help--I think its a coral banded--red horizontal stripes, long tentecles, legs have claws at the end. I have pictures on my HD, but dont know how to attach them here. My brain doesnt work well anymore. I had major brain surgery. Been out of the hobby for years--just getting back in.

Chiefsurfer
02/14/2010, 08:17 AM
i doubt that he would take out any clownfish. MAYBE small goby type fish, but doubt he would/could take out a clown.

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 08:31 AM
http://myfishtanks.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/coral_banded_shrimp.jpg

Glove
02/14/2010, 08:39 AM
those shrimp CAN take out fish, even clown fish.

Felix T Cat
02/14/2010, 08:39 AM
I have a coral banded in my tank and so far other then a little waving around of his claws he hasn't shown any aggression.

Roadkillstewie
02/14/2010, 08:44 AM
I've had CB's that were fine, when small... but once they got larger started following and jumping at fish that swam by, and would try to get at CF in the anemone. Never saw them grab/catch a fish, but it just seemed kinda of agressive for an intent to 'clean' the fish.

stanlalee
02/14/2010, 09:37 AM
my coral banded shrimp was in a biocube with two small clowns and during feeding they'd virtually jump in its arms not to mention when it try to claw them if they got too close. the coral banded shrimp couldn't even come close to taking them down even getting both claws on them. he wasn't small either, naturally spanding much wider then the clownfish with the claws. I'm convinced coral banded shrimp cant take down a healthy clown unless they get some kind of lucky.

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and to the moderator/s, I havent been here in a while and didnt know that I couldnt remotely link to another sites image. Sorry...

Others--THUS that red X above...

:sad2:

Tylt33
02/14/2010, 01:14 PM
CBS can take out fish... not a reef safe shrimp.

Grand Wazoo
02/14/2010, 03:13 PM
CBS can take out fish... not a reef safe shrimp.

Somehow the pic of shrimp reappeard--THATS HIM!--see above--Any suggestions on how to get him out without hurting the bastage?:confused:

DOTZ
02/14/2010, 03:17 PM
Yes it can kill fish. They're really pretty shrimp, but I won't own one with smaller fish in the tank.

bertoni
02/14/2010, 05:13 PM
The link won't work for us. It leads to a text page.

A coral banded shrimp likely could catch a smaller clown, maybe a somewhat large one. A sick one might be very easy to catch. These shrimp often are aggressive.

supraman
02/14/2010, 05:47 PM
Hello, new to the site...couldnt help but comment on your shrimp problem. I Had two coral banded shrimp in a 20 gal tank along with two tomato clowns, one blue star fish, one sea urchin, one briddle star and a racoon butterfly fish for three years and had no problem with them and a 15 gal tank with one blue starfish, one banded shrimp and one Picasso Triggerfish and one tomato clown...a week later the triggerfish ate the coral banded shrimp. So there were no problems... only enjoyment in watching these guys do there thing.

Ebisan
02/14/2010, 06:49 PM
I've had a very large CBS for over 4 years and another one recently. They would reach with their big claws whenever something got close to them but they move their claws too slowly for them to catch healthy fish. My CBS would crawl over my anemones with my clowns in them. The claws don't seem to reach below it and the clowns usually just watch the shrimp walk over them. One of my favorite shrimp.

sharky's machin
02/14/2010, 06:55 PM
Hello, new to the site...couldnt help but comment on your shrimp problem. I Had two coral banded shrimp in a 20 gal tank along with two tomato clowns, one blue star fish, one sea urchin, one briddle star and a racoon butterfly fish for three years and had no problem with them and a 15 gal tank with one blue starfish, one banded shrimp and one Picasso Triggerfish and one tomato clown...a week later the triggerfish ate the coral banded shrimp. So there were no problems... only enjoyment in watching these guys do there thing.

Wow. Did you have room for water too?

supraman
02/14/2010, 06:55 PM
How Large of a CBS are we talking about?

supraman
02/14/2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for asking... yes I did have room for water too

supraman
02/14/2010, 06:59 PM
However, I've never had good luck with butterfly fish...they lived for about eight or nine days and then die...

supraman
02/14/2010, 07:03 PM
I only had a undergravel filter system left over from a fresh water tank that I had...so I never used a skimmer, or never tested the water so meee thinks thats why a had a hard time keeping butterfly fish

Grand Wazoo
02/15/2010, 10:19 AM
http://myfishtanks.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/coral_banded_shrimp.jpg

I did not post this link--a moderator did. I dont know how to post pictures from my hard drive. Grand Wazoo

Grand Wazoo
02/15/2010, 10:22 AM
and with all the responses Im getting, thank you, I am sure the CBshrimp is killing my fish. Gonna try to yank him out later.

spw4949
02/15/2010, 11:25 AM
I would agree that the CBS could def. be the culprit, they are opportunistic feeders, even if well fed they will rarely pass up the chance at a meal........

Grand Wazoo
02/17/2010, 07:00 PM
The link won't work for us. It leads to a text page.

A coral banded shrimp likely could catch a smaller clown, maybe a somewhat large one. A sick one might be very easy to catch. These shrimp often are aggressive.

Thanks for hosting my picture.

bertoni
02/17/2010, 11:30 PM
You're welcome!

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 07:57 AM
Can some NICE person here tell me why my picture keeps disappearing? Are NO pictures allowed?

Jonathan was kind enough to HOST my picture and now that post has disappeared. ?????????

Ill leave if you guys dont want me here.

hoffy02
02/18/2010, 10:21 AM
I have to tell ya that this is a very confusing thread.... LOL!!

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 12:48 PM
I have to tell ya that this is a very confusing thread.... LOL!!

Actualy it started simple--I just wanted to know if a CBS could/would kill a clown fish. LoL

bertoni
02/18/2010, 01:20 PM
The link still works for me. Maybe the hosting site went down temporarily.

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 01:34 PM
The link still works for me. Maybe the hosting site went down temporarily.

Could be--but it was gone last night too. And I thank you again, Jonathan, for hosting it.

Nanz
02/18/2010, 01:42 PM
Depends on the clownfish.

I have a CBS thats been in my tank for over 2 years and he has killed some small watchmans and firefish. But he does not come near my clownfish. There is nothing more mean than a Gold Striped Maroon Clownfish guarding her eggs. (well maybe a trigger, hehe) I can't even clean the glass in that area without her attacking the algea scrubber. I also made the mistake of feeding the anemone with my hand. She smacked me hard with her tail and tried to bite me.

rbnice1
02/18/2010, 01:44 PM
The easiest way is for you to open a account on any free hosting site like photobucket. Then you copy any pic you want to postr and upload it there. Then you just copy the link from there and paste it into your post.

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 01:45 PM
Ive since purchased my fourth clown--and so far so good. But this CBS is definitly up to NO GOOD!:wildone:

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 01:48 PM
The easiest way is for you to open a account on any free hosting site like photobucket. Then you copy any pic you want to postr and upload it there. Then you just copy the link from there and paste it into your post.

OK--thank you!

Grand Wazoo
02/18/2010, 01:52 PM
If this clown dies, Im buying a fishing pole and a blood worm and going CBS fishing.:hmm6: