PDA

View Full Version : help with qt set up

vincer20
02/14/2010, 08:24 AM
what would be the best set up for a small qt?

gdsmith56
02/14/2010, 09:40 AM
small is relative but a 10g tank with a sponge filter and a heater is all that you need. The sponge filter should be kept in the sump of your main tank when the QT isn't needed, that way it's always biologically active.

Rensmif
02/14/2010, 09:44 AM
keep it simple, 10,20 gallon tank,heater, hob filter, and pvc pipe for caves.

Chris27
02/14/2010, 09:46 AM
While anything is better then nothing, I prefer a 20L to a 10G. If you're just using it for small fish like chromis, gobies and clowns, a 10G is perfect, but the extra length you get in a 20L is especially helpful when QT'ing tangs and other active fish, 1 at a time of course:hmm4:

vincer20
02/14/2010, 09:52 AM
does it run off the main tank?

Indymann99
02/14/2010, 10:19 AM
My 20g setup.

powerhead w sponge filter

Heater

Thermo

Eggcrate for cover

Light anything will work I had a fuge light laying around.

"does it run off the main tank"

You want your QT SEPERATE from your DT (Display Tank). I have my QT in my Mix room (basement under stairs)
picts below
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTinMixRm.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTTankcloseup.jpg

vincer20
02/14/2010, 10:33 AM
what is the purpose of a qt? wont the fish get streesed from changing water? ie--lfs-qt--dt

vincer20
02/14/2010, 10:39 AM
sorry if ^^^ sounded stupid

MaJaCa
02/14/2010, 11:57 AM
The QT allows a person to make sure the fish they just got doesn't transfer some kind of sickness to the rest of their fish already in their setup.

Also, if a fish in your tank does get sick, it is a good idea to treat in a QT so there aren't side effects in your main tank with things such as inverts/corals.

Indymann99
02/14/2010, 12:06 PM
Not stupid at all. Asking questions will save you a LOT of headache (and $$$) in this hobby.

QT has many purposes.

1. by keeping a new fish in QT for 4+ weeks you will be able to tell if the fish is sick (common is ich) AND you will not introduce anything into your DT.. example is if you introduce ich into your DT.. the ONLY way to remove it is to remove ALL fish and run the DT "fishless" for 6 weeks.. as you can imagine this can be very difficult to
a. catch all fish - many times requires tearing down rock.
b. treat all fish - have to have hospital tank(s) capable of holding ALL your fish

2. A QT also allows your new fish to eat without having to compete with the other tankmates for food.

3. You can also make sure your new fish IS eating (observation is easier)

4. If your new fish DOES get sick you can more easily observe the fish and decide how to treat.

5. You can easily turn your QT into a Hospital tank (by adding medications or treatment - example Hypo)

All in all a QT is the best way to keep your DT disease free.

It doesnt take much in the way of equipment and can prevent big $$ of investment in DT fish.

Hope this helps

ctrl+f
02/14/2010, 12:07 PM
This is a related question so I'll ask it here. How do you handle QT when you are setting up a new tank? Do you people with your giant tanks actually introduce one fish at a time every six weeks?

Indymann99
02/14/2010, 12:28 PM
I dont have a "massive tank" but yes I did 1 fish at a time over 2 years (I also take my time choosing fish so sometimes takes months to find one I like).

Side effect of ONLY adding 1 fish at a time every 6 weeks (or longer) is that it gives the DT time to adjust to the bio load.

So far I have lost 1 clown in QT (end of 1st week).

I will QT multiples (example my Chromis) at the same time.

Chris27
02/14/2010, 08:21 PM
does it run off the main tank?

Nope - it should be a stand alone system. Most meds / treatments will be detrimental to a system containing corals and inverts. It's even better if the QT is as far away from the main system as possible to eliminate the chance of transferring water from one tank to the other. Basically, anything wet has the possibility to cross contaminate.

vincer20
02/17/2010, 07:02 AM
what type of filtration would you guys suggest?