PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade or not to?

surfer2811
02/14/2010, 09:42 AM
Currently, I have a 29g biocube. I have had it for about 2 years now. I have had trouble keeping corals such as frogspawn and other things but haven't lost any fish. My question is, is it easier to grow and maintain corals in a larger tank such as a 55g? I know my lfs is going to tell me to go big because ofcourse that means I'll be buying more. I need your independent opinions. I want a bigger system but I also feel like it may be a bad move since's it tough to keep what I have in my 29g.

iap
02/14/2010, 09:46 AM
I don't even have a tank setup. But I have read on this forum alot. The thing I keep seeing is "bigger is better/easier".

ihavtats29
02/14/2010, 10:09 AM
having a large tank vrs a small one , the main thing is water quality , it takes very little change to mess up the water quality on a small tank a large tank give you more room for error and live stock, why a 55 go bigger 75, 90, 110 and 120 gal are also 48' 'long gust wider and tallerget a reef ready tank having a sump will add more water volume and a place to hide most of your equipment.

jenjen
02/14/2010, 11:02 AM
^^+1

It's easier to maintain consistent water quality in a larger system. Also, having a larger system removes some of the limitations of what you can put in the tank. Do you know why your frogspawn isn't doing well in the 29gal? I would recommend trying to figure this out before considering an upgrade, so you can make sure to fix that problem with the new system.

I had a 90gal, currently have a 55gal & a 180gal. I wouldn't recommend a 55gal. If you're considering an upgrade to a tank around that size I'd get the 75gal. The length is the same but you get more front-back room which is handy for aquascaping. The 90gal just gives you more height, which IMO only makes the tank more difficult to service and doesn't do much for fish or corals.

Good luck!

Engine8ff
02/14/2010, 11:06 AM
Yes a true statement that a larger tank is alot easier to control on the chemistry side but along with going larger comes a bigger expense also if you dont stay ontop of it it can get quit expensive to get it back under control. I moved from a 20L to a 215 and love it, you cant go wrong moving up. Plan a move that will satisfy the long term future so you dont find yourself looking to move up again in 2 years. If your looking to go in the 50 gallon size also look at the 75, 90, and 120 you can get them in the same foot print. The larger water volume=more expense=more stability=more corals and fish.

bluetang66
02/14/2010, 11:20 AM
I think everybody wants a bigger tank,and at some point will upgrade to a larger one. I would give a lot of thought as to how big i would go so you don't have the expense all over again. I also think as far as the quality of water a larger tank should be more stable but there will be a added expense on salt, chemicals, etc.

syrinx
02/14/2010, 11:26 AM
only benifit is to have more space for stuff. Big or small=# of problems.

iluzhun
02/14/2010, 11:50 AM
I have to say bigger is better. More stable watrer quality. But....Bigger is deffinitely more expensive. Keep in mind that bigger tank not only costs more initially but also needs a bigger weekly watert change AKA bigger RO unit, more salt. Also bigger lights more heater more pumps. All of which cost more on the PG&E. That being said my favorite tank was a 178 gal. It was the easiest to care for (except for water changes due to quantity) I currently have a 110 (replaced a 55) and am happy. I would agree with not going with a 55 as there is not a lot of front to back space. A 75 or 90 would be better.