PDA

View Full Version : icecap 660 vs. magnetic ballasts

iamwrasseman
02/14/2010, 11:02 PM
i have magnetic ballasts and have had to replace a couple of the ballasts . are the ice cap electronic units that much better for the cost verses the reliability ? i have heard that you basically have to replace both when they go bad and the icecap units so much more expensive . are they that much more reliable or is it the over driving capabilities that make them "better"? its $30 vs $160 is it really worth it ? i have t-5s buy the way and the are 36
"and 48" in length. needless to say i dont really need the increased out put because im not growing sps corals .

The Grim Reefer
02/14/2010, 11:07 PM
i have magnetic ballasts and have had to replace a couple of the ballasts . are the ice cap electronic units that much better for the cost verses the reliability ? i have heard that you basically have to replace both when they go bad and the icecap units so much more expensive . are they that much more reliable or is it the over driving capabilities that make them "better"? its $30 vs $160 is it really worth it ? i have t-5s buy the way and the are 36
"and 48" in length. needless to say i dont really need the increased out put because im not growing sps corals .

If you don't need the output stick with triads or any of the other standard T5 ballasts which are all electronic.

iamwrasseman
02/14/2010, 11:13 PM
cool i have the workhorse 5 units and i have had to replace one every year or so but i have 8 of them so it doesnt seem money wise unless i need more light .i do however believe the workhorse units are magnetic ,are there better ones than them as you mentioned triads and electronic ballasts . i dont know the performance vs reliability issues ,what do you think grim reefer ?

The Grim Reefer
02/14/2010, 11:21 PM
cool i have the workhorse 5 units and i have had to replace one every year or so but i have 8 of them so it doesnt seem money wise unless i need more light .i do however believe the workhorse units are magnetic ,are there better ones than them as you mentioned triads and electronic ballasts . i dont know the performance vs reliability issues ,what do you think grim reefer ?

I don't reco the Worhorses for T5's but they do work. Pretty sure they are electronic. The triads should last longer and make the lamps last longer.

iamwrasseman
02/14/2010, 11:26 PM
is triad a company name or a type ? sorry to sound stupid here but i think i do ,lol .

The Grim Reefer
02/14/2010, 11:59 PM
Universal makes them. Reefgeek sells them. Sylvania and Vossloh Schwabe has good ones too.

iamwrasseman
02/15/2010, 04:19 PM
i'll checkit out . thanks for the info