PDA

View Full Version : New Apex internet Connection issues

Shakes
02/15/2010, 05:04 AM
I just purchased the APex Controller and can not get it to connect to the internet.
I have the controller connected to an Airport express in WDS mode. It shows the IP address is: 192.168.24.62 The light is green and it is wirelessly connected to my Airport Extreme. I type http://apex into Internet explorer and cannot get it to see the controller.
1. Do I need to reset the IP on the APEX? It is still set to the standard IP
2. Do I need to change some othe setting?
Thanks,
Shakes

Shakes
02/15/2010, 06:20 AM
If I use IPChicken is shows my IP address as: 100.1.200.6 and my IP address of my wireless bridge in WDS mode is 192.168.24.62. Can anyone tell me how I set my NET SETUP?
Thanks, Shakes

Shakes
02/15/2010, 07:30 AM
I ended up turning off the Dynamic IP setting. I then configured the gateway with the IP of the Airport Express then set the IP on the Apex with the same IP as the gateway with the last Octet as .50 I was able to dial into the Iphone application as well. I guess this old man can learn new tricks!

Lightsluvr
02/15/2010, 07:38 AM
Glad it worked for you. Please share details on how you diagnosed the problem...

Thanks.

LL

Shakes
02/16/2010, 03:59 PM
I was mistaken, I was able to access the controller locally since I was tied into the wireless network.
I have a Japanese Fiber Optic Router
IP Address: 110.1.200.6 (this is what www.ipchicken.com tells me what my IP is)

Connected to the Fiber Optic Router I have my Wireless Airport Extreme
IP Address: 192.168.24.53

Connected wirelessly as a bridge I have my Airport express connected to the APEX.

Does all the IP's need to match my Fiber Optic routers IP with the exception of the last decimal place? Do I need to have them in any order?
.6 for fiber, .7 for apple extreme, .8 for apple express?

I tried to set my controller to the 110.1.200.6 IP but I do not think it is making it through due to the Apple Extreme

Thanks,
Shakes

Shakes
02/16/2010, 04:34 PM
I just got off the phone with Neptune systems, He stated I need to set up port forwarding on my main router and on my airport Extreme in order to get it connected to the internet. Now I need to call out a Japanese technician to set this up since I can not read Japanese.
I think it should be an easy fix once I get the port forwarding enabled

RussM
02/16/2010, 05:49 PM
The 110.1.200.6 address is your public or Internet address. It is usually assigned dynamically by your Internet Service Provider. The 192.168.24.xxx IP addresses your see on your local home network are a part of special group of IP addresses called private addresses.... they are reserved for use exclusively on private networks, and can never actually be directly connected onto the Internet. Your router uses a firewall feature called Network Adddress Translation (NAT) to convert the private addresses on your home network to the public address. To everything out on the Internet, all traffic originating on your home network appears to all be coming from that public address... the NAT feature allows sharing of that outside/public address by all of your computers, aquarium controller, XBox, Blu-Ray player, iPod Touch, etc. That's why ipchicken saw your IP address as 110.1.200.6. By default, no traffic originating out on the Internet can get through your router.... the only traffic that normally can get through are replies or responses to communications originated by something on your home network... such as you surfing the World Wide Web. Port forwarding is a way to open up an inbound path through your router... essentially, creating a hole through the firewall for a specific type of trafffic to a specific destination on your home network. When we configure port forwarding in the router for our Apex or AC3 controllers, we create that path by virtue of a port forwarding rule specifically to permit web browser traffic (http) to the controller.

Every device on your home network will have a unique 192.168.24.xxx address. This is assigned by a feature in your router called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). When using DHCP, the address assigned by the router can change over time. If this happens with your controller, the port forwarding rule might end up pointing to the wrong (old) address. So, you will need to set the IP address of your controller to be a static address... like 192.168.24.50. With the Ac3 and Apex, you can just disable the DHPC option in the controller, and it will remember what it was originally assigned by the router.

Shakes
02/17/2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the in depth explanation of port forwarding and how it allows the router to communicate.. I have manually assigned all my wireless devices with the same IP with the exception of the last .xx I have also paid for a static IP from my Internet provider so hopefully I will not have the problems associated with Dynamic IP addressing. I still need to get the Japanese router programed IOT allow internet access. I got home a few minutes after they closed for English support. :(
Shakes

pbmatthews
03/25/2010, 11:29 AM
Shakes and anyone else reading this thread. You don't need to pay for a static ip address, you can get a free service called dynamic dns which basically tracks your dynamic IP for you by mapping an assigned (or selected) static IP address. The Apex manual tells you where to get it. The site they list is dyndns.com, however there are other servcies that do the same thing. If you have a D-Link router, they offer you the same service.

You also don't need to assign all of your PCs and devices a static address, only your Apex.