PDA

View Full Version : Fragging Zoanthids in the Display Tank?

Nanz
02/15/2010, 09:41 AM
Hi, Im new to fragging...

I have a Zoanthid I want to frag but its like a mat on a large 8 inch rock in my tank. Its not possible to remove this rock without disturing a bunch of corals. Can I just cut the zoa from the rock? Will this release harmful toxins in the tank that will hurt the inhabitants? Will this hurt me? How can I protect myself as well as the tank?

Fizz71
02/15/2010, 09:49 AM
It actually depends on the zoa but IMO fragging in the tank should not be a conern in terms of toxins.

Some zoas mat really thick and once you get under the matt they'll peel away easy. Others mat really thin and are a pain to remove. I would buy a brand new chisel, no bigger then maybe 1/4" to 1/2" (wash it first to remove mfg oils) and see how easy it is to scrape under them. You'll actually be trying to remove a thin layer of rock under the zoa.

I would also spend 30 seconds or so blowing water at them with your hand to get them to retract before you start digging.

Just be careful...the worst part of in tank fragging is breaking a neighbor coral. :( And wash your hands before and after..(no soap before).

Good luck..I hate fragging without removing...I avoid it.

captstinky
02/15/2010, 10:42 AM
Good luck..I hate fragging without removing...I avoid it.

+1

If you have to cut in tank, its a good idea to run some additional carbon. Zoas, at least to humans can be nasty.

thegrun
02/15/2010, 11:19 AM
Wear gloves and eye protection, it isn't worth the risk to go without them.

Nanz
02/15/2010, 11:47 AM
Wear gloves and eye protection, it isn't worth the risk to go without them.

Wear eye protection? If Im fragging underwater how can it effect my eyes?

Anyways I have a colony of bright orange ("SuperNova") zooanthids. They seem to have a small thin mat but cover an 8" rock. I dont know if I can chisel inside the tank. Im afraid I might hit the glass!

Can't I just cut the zoa and try to peel it off with tweesers?

Sk8r
02/15/2010, 11:49 AM
AND run carbon after you've done it and until they heal! THat will sop up any 'fight' chemicals.

mytshall
02/15/2010, 11:51 AM
Nice tool when you can get them out.

90greefman
02/15/2010, 11:53 AM
nice tool when you can get them out.

+1

mfinn
02/15/2010, 11:59 AM
Wear eye protection? If Im fragging underwater how can it effect my eyes?

Anyways I have a colony of bright orange ("SuperNova") zooanthids. They seem to have a small thin mat but cover an 8" rock. I dont know if I can chisel inside the tank. Im afraid I might hit the glass!

Can't I just cut the zoa and try to peel it off with tweesers?

I wouldn't try a use a chisel ( hammer, pounding, etc) inside the tank. Too much chance of a disaster on several fronts. If you can use a sharp chisel and pry under the polyps, trying to get some of the rock like Fizz mentioned , by using leverage.

You can try to peel the mat off. Try and cut the mat away from the polyp and get a edge of the knife or tweezers under the mat and peel.

Some zoanthids can be very toxic and if there is even a small chance to get the fluid in your eyes ( splashing or squishing a polyp), wearing some sort of eye protection is worth it.

Fizz71
02/15/2010, 12:04 PM
So who's going to invent the underwater reef dremmel? :)

fstar25
02/15/2010, 01:04 PM
So who's going to invent the underwater reef dremmel? :)

Great idea Fizz, get to work on it!

Fizz71
02/15/2010, 01:36 PM
...and I missed the chisel comment up there...

Like mfinn said I was referring to using the chisel to scrape...no hammering involved. Most live rock is a bit chalky at the surface so something sharp with a strong handle to provide leverage can take a very thin layer of live rock off with the mat intact. That is what I do with shrooms so I can remove them without actually cutting their foot which would make it harder to get them to reattach quickly in a new spot.

I'd use a razor blade to cut the mat, then use the chisel to pry under the mat to get the section zoas off the rock. I have quite a chisel colletion because I don't like to use them more then once or twice because of the rusting...but if you dry them off and keep them bone dry you can reuse them often.

lordofthereef
02/15/2010, 04:10 PM
Personally a razor blade has worked just fine for me in the past. I think people like to get way complicated with their fragging. A 15 cent blade will cut them off the rocks like butter. Sliced the "mat" where you want, pry the blade under the mat and they should virtually peel right off. Be extra careful not to cut yourself too...

Greysoul
02/15/2010, 05:02 PM
Best of both worlds:

Use an Xacto chisel blade, http://www.xacto.com/Product/X218

Probably don't want the aluminum handle in the water... make one out of plastic or just hold the blade... I have seen stainless steel handles that will hold an xacto blade, but I have no idea where to get one. Hobby Lobby maybe?