PDA

View Full Version : Good afternoon Everyone!

jimandjen
02/15/2010, 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone,

We are new to the hobby and falling in love with it quickly! We currently have a 90 gallon show tank with a Marine Betta Grouper and Yellow Tang that have been tank mates for years. We bought the system already established and are eager to add more fish to our Show Tank.

We just recently introduced a juvenile blue hippo, a pair of juvenile oscellaris clowns, 3 Nerith snails, 3 Cerith snails, and an young 6 line wrasse to our 20 gallon QT. It had a couple of small pieces of live rock. Unfortunately the wrasse died on day 3 and hippo showed salt speckled white spots. We took out all six snails and the live rock and put them into a bucket and have been dropping salinty in our QT tank for the last couple of days. We will get to 1.010 SG today and have temp holding at 80 degrees. Therefore today will begin our 6 week hypo QT countdown. Our question for yall is this....
The bucket that has our six new snails and the little bit of live rock that could contain contaimination of Crypt needs to move forward to get back to our show tank. No fish are in it but if we have Crypt encyst stages, will we need to keep them in the bucket for the same six weeks that the fish are in QT as well?. Our LFS instructed us to float the inverts and put into the show tank. We luckily were cautious and need some advice. Will Crypt die in our fallow bucket within days or do they need to stay in the bucket at regular salinty for a complete 6 weeks? The bucket doesn't have anything but saline water in it but we want to save our snails. Please advise.
Good day all!

spw4949
02/15/2010, 01:41 PM
Are you medicating the QT or just going hyposalinity? I'm a little confused with your question so bear with me in regards to my answer, ich cysts could possibly be on snail shells just like they could be on LR or in the substrtae etc, ich is a bethnic organism(which means it live in the substrate and rocks etc. like I previously stated), I'm assuming that in your QT you are doing daily H20 changes & using amquel or a similiar ammonia neutralizing product?

jimandjen
02/15/2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes we are going hyposalinity, we reached 1.010 today. We had a little live rock and 6 snails, that we removed about 3 days ago because when we were doing our research it stated that they would not do well in a hypo environment. With no place else to put them, we have them in a 5 gallon bucket now (that we have been replacing water in for the past 3 days from the DT). We are just wondering how long they can live in the bucket or when it would be safe to put them in the DT while we are completing the 6 weeks of hypo in the QT?