PDA

View Full Version : Reidi or Erectus?

tang56
02/15/2010, 06:29 PM
im setting up a 55gallon seahorse tank , first one, but dont know if i should get reidis or erectus. i hear reidis are more colorful but erectus more active. which ones are better for the beginner? are reidis that hard?
thanks

Octoshark
02/15/2010, 11:57 PM
You might have trouble even finding H. reidi right now. There was actually a thread started the other day asking "where to find reidi these days"

SeahorseSource has been out. They were supposed to get some more but never got them in.

Aquaticpaul
02/17/2010, 08:50 AM
I personal have four happy, healthy, and active H. Erectus I love them had them for a few moths now and they seem to be getting ready to mate. From what ive heard they are much hardier than redi and good for those new into seahorses. I recommend them best of luck

pledosophy
02/18/2010, 01:12 AM
I've never kept erectus, but I love reidi. I think they are worth the wait. Give you a chance to set your system up.

I am inclined to try some erectus after my upcoming move, they are kinda cute. Barbouri and comes are also very appealing. Geesh, I like all seahorse species, I guess I'm no help.

IME keeping most species is just about the same. If you start with good stock of anything, the day to day keeping of the tanks is pretty much the same. I wouldn't set a tank up any differently for reidi or erectus, for kuda or barbs, etc. I do keep comes a couple degrees warmer, I would get a bigger tank for ingens. But pretty much all of the species basic needs are the same. It's when you get into raising fry, if you ever do that the challenges of reidi present themselves. Rotifers and breeding pods suck.

JME

The Reef Expert
03/09/2010, 01:03 PM
Watch the DD, you can get some great colorful reidi WC singles and pairs. Pricey though. Ask your LFS to order reidi for you. ORA offers them and I can't think of a Marine LFS that does not work with ORA.

SaltyDawg1979
03/12/2010, 09:45 AM
Reidi are available at Seahorsesource Now!