PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Coral is this???

celticreefer85
02/15/2010, 09:25 PM
Hey guys. just got my first coral and i already forgot what kind of coral it is. I was hoping you guys could help identify the coral. im pretty sure it is kenya tree coral but wanted to be sure I was told by the LFS that this was a hardy coral and was good for beginners. it did not need lots of high intensity lighting.

I also wanted to ask how to care for this type of coral. do i need to feed it? the coral came on a cap as you can see. i use some putty i bought from them to stick it to the rock. it doesnt look as good as i was hoping but maybe i didnt use the putty properly on the cap. i was hoping for some help. should i have cut the cap shorter so it looks more natural on the rock?? thanks! here is a pic:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101347&stc=1&d=1266290618

darkdruid
02/15/2010, 09:45 PM
Looks like a kenya tree to me.

lilboy88
02/15/2010, 10:10 PM
ya that looks like a capnella A.K.A. kenya tree

celticreefer85
02/16/2010, 10:15 AM
I used aquastick and basically attached it to plug and stuck it on rock. it just doesnt look good. should i have cut the plug and made it shorter? should i have taken the plug off? how do you attach the kenya tree? this is my first coral so i am just not sure. thanks!

spsal23
02/16/2010, 10:49 AM
+1 that is a kenya tree

bhammer
02/16/2010, 11:03 AM
I generally use a pair of diagonal cutters to remove the extension on the plug. You can use many different types of epoxy for the plugs. Lot's of folks here use the aquamend and I use the Locktite 5 minute, both from Home Depot.

celticreefer85
02/16/2010, 11:52 AM
thanks for the help. i hope i can detach it and cut off the plug to restick it so it looks better. hopefully the aquastick is not so permament so i cant take it out.

my last question is, how exactly do i care for this coral? i read iodine, true elements and strontium. with that said, what exactly do i do? this is my first coral so i have no clue. if you could give me specific instructions i would greatly appreciate it (how much of solution and how often). its a 75g tank.

LockeOak
02/16/2010, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about the supplements. Just do regular water changes, keep the temperature in a good range (78-80 works well) and it should do well. I wouldn't try re-mounting yet, give it a few days... often after being disturbed they don't look happy for a day or two.

Metal Man 1221
02/16/2010, 12:22 PM
yes capnella

bhammer
02/16/2010, 12:42 PM
Yup, just keep your calc, alk & mag in check and you will be fine. No need to dose iodine or anything else.

luther1200
02/16/2010, 12:47 PM
Kenya Tree, that was also my first coral a few years ago. I still have some of its babies. It will be a good first coral to have. It likes moderate flow, not to strong, but it does like a little bit. It does not need intense light, so they were correct there also. I think you have it mounted fine, it will grow over that plug in no time if its happy. I remember when I got mine it lokked unhappy for about a week, then it perked up and was good from then on.

MCCOOL
02/16/2010, 01:14 PM
Kenya Tree, that was also my first coral a few years ago. I still have some of its babies. It will be a good first coral to have. It likes moderate flow, not to strong, but it does like a little bit. It does not need intense light, so they were correct there also. I think you have it mounted fine, it will grow over that plug in no time if its happy. I remember when I got mine it lokked unhappy for about a week, then it perked up and was good from then on.

+1, i wouldnt worry about moving it. If it's happy, it'll engulf that frag plug in no time. Like others have said, no need to dose iodine or any of that, regular water changes will keep it happy.