PDA

View Full Version : Purple People Eater is Gone!! Time to Celebrate!!

kcsnook
02/16/2010, 09:17 AM
So here is the story:

As a noob I went to LFS and saw this awesome colored Purple fish that I was interested in and decided to purchase. Then getting home to do some research on this cool PURPLE Pseudochromis, I find out they are mean ole' Bas----s. Yes I know i did this in reverse order but you all know how it is, live and learn. He/she of course takes to the nicest piece of Live Rock in my 72 Gallon. He runs off my Diamond Goby and the Diamond Goby only sits at his rock in the far left corner sifting and keeping his home free and clear of rock and coral. Purple guy chases my six line wrasse more than any other inhabitant of the tank. He doesnt even bat an eye at my Midas blenny. So I decide Im going to remove this fish from my tank. I can't even begin to calculate the hours I've spent trying to build the perfect trap, I built every DIY fish trap on Reff Central with no luck. I drove and hour and a half to Orlando to get the smallest hooks I could find from BassPro @ their fly shop and all of this with no success...I have laid awake many nights thinking about the day he is gone from my tank... Which brings us to last night @ 8:45pm. The wife and I were sitting in my office downloading some music when the Purple People Eater starts after the Wrasse, the wrasse goes from one end to the other trying to get away and back to the far left and my wife and I watching this. All of a sudden the wrasse darts up to the top near the over flow and jumps into the over flow, Purple People Eater jumps clear out of tank onto my wood floors right in front of the wife and I!!!! VICTORY I shout with my arms raised in the air, I am in awe that this just happened. I scooped him up and put him in my water change bucket, I swore up and down once I caught him he was going to be fed to the birds or flushed to the Porcelain Gods. I called my LFS and they were still there so I hopped in the truck and drove him up there to be resold under the name "Purple Satan". Patience paid off in this instance, I was going to drain the tank to get him out. I learned this lesson long ago, please look at your Intended Fish Purchases and make sure they are compatible. Some websites site them as Semi-aggressive but I didnt see one positive remark in Reef Central about these jerks. So please all raise your glasses tonight, to No More Purple People Eaters and a much happier tank for my fish! :beer:

brascal1
02/16/2010, 09:25 AM
That is all to common with an impulse buy. Next time turn around and go to the book section and pickup a pocket book guide to marine fish. Then when you want to buy, whip that out and at least you'll know whether it is compatible, temperment, diet, etc.

Whisperer
02/16/2010, 09:34 AM
So, what happened to the wrasse? This story is soooo incomplete! The plot sucks! j/k :D
The LFS should give free wrasse to anyone who buys the pseudochromis. :lol:

STiTCH87
02/16/2010, 09:35 AM
Isn't a Purple People Eater a type of Zoanthid? Cuz i've never seen a Zoa jump out of the tank, lol. But I am assuming that is the name you gave to your Purple Pseudochromis? Either way nice! If I had that issue then that happens i'd be dancing all around the house. Lol. I'd also reward your wrasse for being such a sly little bugger. Lol. Wrasse Win!!!

Yeah I don't even know why stores sell Damsels and Pseudochromis honestly. They're not worth owning in my opinion unless you need a fish to cycle your tank (if you use that method) and don't mind losing a $5 fish over a $15 one.

kcsnook
02/16/2010, 12:55 PM
Yes I named the Purple Pseudochromis that name. And yes I know that I should've done my research first. I did do some studying first and got him confused with a Basslet or even Diadem I believe so instead of checking and making sure I bought the jerk and took him home. Again live and learn, lesson learned for sure.

As for the Wrasse I Pulled the piping and emptied the overflow into my sump where I was waiting patiently for him. He got a few Ghost shrimp to himself for once......I think he has been humbled by the Purple Pseudo for sure, he is still a bit paranoid but should adjust with time.

sfilipowski
02/16/2010, 01:11 PM
holy crap that sounds like the story of my life. mine lives with one clown I want a six line but I know whats going to happen (your story) I read that you can try to feed right when the lights come on and as he is waking up still alittle groggy, might be slow and catchable? anyone ever heard this method?

browntrout
02/16/2010, 01:21 PM
I too had one of these bastards. Super Mean chased everything all day. I knew I had no chance in hell to catch him with a net. I simply didn't feed my tank for a few days, put in a clear acrylic fish trap. Sat on my couch with fishing line in hand. Pulled on the line to open the sliding door. I had put a cube of shrimp in the trap as soon as it opened all my fish were goin in and out of the trap attacking the food. Soon as the purple bastard went in SLAM. I caught him and a few others. Pulled the trap dumped the innocent guys back and took that bastard back to the LFS :)

ARealmsLLC
02/16/2010, 01:30 PM
These stories are great. They bring a smile to my face to hear of the stress one little fish can cause. However...then to hear about the joyous capture and proper release of them is what completes the stories! :D

Happy to hear all is well again in Aquatic Land. :)

kcsnook
02/16/2010, 01:58 PM
Sfilipowski Yes I caught my Diamond Goby by having the lights off for a few hours and turn them on the fish are stunned. But guess which fish slleps in a tunnel in my live rock with no access? Purple Pseudo Jerkimus - The only fish that was too quick or wouldnt come out. I'm telling you I was so frustrated only to my own fault. They should sell them with waivers at the LFS.

Jstdv8
02/16/2010, 02:19 PM
I thought he was talking about Brett Favre