PDA

View Full Version : ETSS 800XR review? Help please

btb72
02/16/2010, 10:11 AM
How good is this skimmer? I dont have a huge system at all just wondering what the reviews are. Thanks

mcoomer
02/16/2010, 02:49 PM
Out of curiosity, what size is your system and what kind of bio load do you have? I owned an older Reef Devil 3 from ETSS until last year and liked it a lot. That skimmer was very much like their current 600 and I ran that skimmer on my 125 without any real issues but wanted to get something bigger when I began to add SPS/LPS to my tank. Some of the things I liked were the large waste collection cups that will cut off the skimmer output when full, ease of adjustments, simplicity of design, ease of maintenance, and the fact that they can be mounted inside or outside your sump. The only real cons I can think of is that they can be finicky when setting up and they can change dramatically if you allow the outlet to get submerged. I had my setup outside the sump and on a platform so that the outlet was always above the water level in the sump. Run the outlet through a bulkhead fitting to a gate valve, not a ball valve, so that you can control the flow. I believe for the 800 you may need something like an Iwaki MD-40 to drive it but you can check their site to be sure.

Mike

mcoomer
02/16/2010, 03:23 PM
BTW...there is an ETSS Skimmer thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422636) on the board. You'll probably get better info in there.

btb72
02/16/2010, 05:35 PM
ya my system is a 180g tank with a 75g sump. well about 50 gallons in the sump. Bio load isnt too much at all. But you are correct with the iwaki. is that a pressure rated pump? I always have the hardest time knowing which one is pressure rated or not.

mcoomer
02/16/2010, 11:03 PM
I don't really know if it's pressure rated or not. It's green though!

Alex T.
02/17/2010, 12:17 AM
btb,

The 800 is a monster of a skimmer for your tank. You'll be fine. Iwaki pressure rated pumps are marked rlt, while the circulation pumps are rlxt.

I'm running the 600 xr on my 150 sps/heavily fed and heavily bioladed tank and it easily does the job. Once these skimmers are dialed in, you'll never have to adjust it again. All I do is empty the remote waste container and clean the neck and cup once every other month. Don't believe the hype on all the newest and greatest designs out there. The reason I feel ETSS is so bashed on these forums is because no one can copy them. Gary at AETech holds the patents on downdraft technology. Beckett and Spray Injection/Induction (Aqua C) are just fancy new concepts that in essence are downdraft skimmers. I've been "behind the house" at two public aquariums and all I saw were large ETSS skimmers.

They can process more water than almost any skimmer on the market. And if you have a reef ready tank, they may even go dormant for a day (mine does now and again) because they've got nothing to skim. Flip through the tank of the month winner profiles and you'll find almost half of all the recipients were using ETSS skimmers. Hook it up, watch it skim and feed your 180 with no worries.

fishysteve
02/17/2010, 06:33 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1427&pictureid=9750

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1427&pictureid=9481

I had one on my old 120 with 50 gallon sump. Incredible skimmer. A true workhorse. I ran mine with a Mag 18. I'm selling mine if you are interested. I don't need it since I downsized my tank. Either way, I would definately reccommend it.