PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 130

Mental1
02/16/2010, 11:54 AM
I unexpectedly won a tank when our local club auctioned one off as a fundraiser. It's a 6 foot Oceanic RR 130g starfire front bevelled edges tank! As I was not really planning on actually having the winning bid it has taken me a while to decide what I want to do with the tank. I went through a brief phase where I thought about setting it up as a planted discus tank but I got over that. Then I thought about tying it into the existing system which meant changing out the 75g basement sump as I would have to get a much bigger pump that would require a bigger feed and hence bulkhead blah blah blah.

Well then I thought that I wanted it to be a FOWLR and I wanted some oddballs in there like an inimiucs, another frondosa, and a Bali tiger stripe angler and a few lions. That means dirty tank and potential polluting of the reefs. Then I realized -- hey -- I have a stock tank sitting around and several pumps. So, I have decided to set it up independent of the existing system, use the stock tank as a basement sump, plumb it so I use water off the reef system to do changes so I still only mix up the same amount of water weekly, and also plumb it so it drains into the dry well.

So given that it is a 100g stock tank and we have 130g tank ... no coral -- or just very hardy ones -- (none of the fish I mentioned will touch coral but what if I want an angel in there? or even a butterfly?) Anyway -- skimmer and lights -- what do you think? I would only do a 3 inch sand bed and that much really because the inimiucs likes to bury itself. And the biopellets are a must have on this system. So -- need a real workhorse of a skimmer and probably can get away with a current type light fixture? Remember it is a 6 foot tank ...suggestions?