PDA

View Full Version : Wave Controller - Cheaper options

golby
02/16/2010, 12:31 PM
Anybody use or know somebody that uses: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Pump Timer?

I'm wondering if that plus a few regular koralias, while perhaps not as effective as the koralia wave timers, will nonetheless move the water around.

Any insights would be appreciated!

golby
02/16/2010, 06:22 PM
30 views, no responses? Ok. I'll order and report back.

VacavilleFC3S
02/16/2010, 06:40 PM
koralias won't work on timers, they don't restart properly once stopped. there is nothing holding the impeller against the magnets so when they restart it throws the impellar out a little and causes a nasty sound and some grinding

FishBum81
02/16/2010, 06:46 PM
Koralia makes a wavemaker version of the pumps, sells for a bit more than the regular pumps. No idea if they're any good or not, assuming they should be about the same quality overall.

Dvae

golby
02/17/2010, 10:26 AM
Vacaville - thanks, that's good information. I took a look at the official user manual on a website, http://akamai.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/HD19101.pdf, and on page two the impeller (b in the figure) appears to have a tip that touches the front of the housing -- this tip would appear to prevent it from being thrown out even a little. Could it be that the problem you described is on older versions?

gdsmith56
02/17/2010, 10:31 AM
Anybody use or know somebody that uses: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Pump Timer?

Not sure what the Pump Timer is that you're referencing but I had several powerheads (K-Nano's included) on a timed power-strip (and I also don't remember the mfr of the power-strip) and I never saw a problem w/ them starting, stopping, or moving. I've since replaced them all with larger VisiJets, and the K-nano's still work fine in the smaller tanks that I have.

golby
02/17/2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks gdsmith. I'm gonna give it a try.

Fizz71
02/17/2010, 01:36 PM
FYI the new Koralia Magnums are completely fine on any timer. I spoke to the company directly. Some of the older models had issues with starting up in the wrong direction, etc, but the magnums have it fixed. There is a split second delay when they fire up though, so you can't use them to make perfect waves too well, but they do work on timers.

There are also other newer models out that work with timers, but I haven't researched them.

ReeferGladness
02/18/2010, 10:05 PM
I was also thinking about setting up a wavemaker with the Aquarium Systems timer using 3 maxijet 900s. It seems like a pretty good deal. Good luck!

golby
03/16/2010, 10:11 AM
Alright, i ordered the timer and it arrived. I figured I'd try one more time and see if anyone has opinions on koralias being turned on and off every few minutes.

basically it won't simulate true waves, but I plan on having two koralia 2s alternate every three minutes.

ReeferGladness
03/23/2010, 08:25 AM
golby - how did the timer work for you? if you have multiple powerheads plugged in, does it turn all of them on and then all off, or does it rotate 3 min on 1, then 3 min on the next, etc?

Beaun
03/23/2010, 09:42 AM
Alright, i ordered the timer and it arrived. I figured I'd try one more time and see if anyone has opinions on koralias being turned on and off every few minutes.

basically it won't simulate true waves, but I plan on having two koralia 2s alternate every three minutes.

I have the same timer and I run the new Koralia Evos on it, this set up works just fine for smaller tanks. I have three connected to the timer and I have it on the long cycle. Two on one end of the tank are set opposite each other, the one on the other end of the tank is set on the long cycle.

kettlecorn
05/20/2010, 07:10 PM
any report? Looks like a good option for a wavemaker and it has some extra outlets which are always nice.

Anyone else interested.. http://www.lnt.com/product/power-strips-timers/44981/aquarium-systems-natural-wave-pump-timer.html

Reverend Reefer
05/20/2010, 08:04 PM
from my understanding it has something to do with the electronic switch or maybe even the motor. the more expensive powerheads, eg., tunze and vortechs, have motors which are variable speed, so they are built to go on and off at different intervals. the more expensive koralias are also built this way, i think someone mentioned that they're called the magnum line.

this doesn't stop anyone from putting ones that aren't built that way on a timer going on and off and simulating this wave motion. from what i've read, putting these types of powerheads on a 3sec timer puts a strain on the motor and it will die a lot faster.
, not to mention some reports of it being a lot a louder with some powerheads, like some koralias making a loud noise when they start up and turn off...

up to you. that's just what i read from my research. i also read about a wave box, you can youtube it and see what i mean. i don't exactly understand how they work but from the vids i saw, seems like the powerhead is placed inside an acrylic box along the inside of the tank shooting thru a hole in the box. can't really explain it any further since i don't really get how it works. it kinda looked obtrusive so i ended up going with another option but the wavebox seemed to make really big waves.

in the end, i bought a vortech mp10 which comes with a little controller that i can set to a number of different wave settings. it didn't cost me an arm and a leg and i just wanted it for the wave motion, since i have a couple koralias running 24-7 for in tank flow. its not bad, does the job, and its cool since the motor is on the outside of the tank so it doesn't add that much heat to my system.

Spazdad
05/21/2010, 11:27 AM
It has to do with Low voltage pumps.. the new koralias evos are 12v, they are able to be run as a wave maker.. the old ones can be but your asking to buy new heads shortly, Its like starting a car in -30 degree weather all day constantly,
Things can be done but there is always going to be a downside when something is not made for it..

Fizz71
05/21/2010, 11:32 AM
The Koralia Magnums do work on a wavemaker too (I talked to the mfg about it). But the mag 8s that I run are very noisy on startup..there is something in place that makes them not accidentally run the wrong way that clicks serveral times--very loudly. So it can take about 2 seconds for a Koralia Magnum 8 to start up and scares the sh*t out of my fish. Because of this I don't have them on a wavemaker, but I have one I'll probably eventually put on a timer to run like 30 seconds every 30 minutes...as a kind of flush. Right now I just turn it on by remote once in a while.

Spazdad
05/21/2010, 11:43 AM
not many people use the magnums... There really pricey and not many people have a need for the firing hose, LOL last month the EVO's were 40% off i got 2 1400 for 33 and 2 1050s for 26, :}

saltybastard
05/21/2010, 03:04 PM
what about the new Koralia evos? I have them running on a red sea wavenmaker outlet and they work great.

steamer51
05/21/2010, 05:28 PM
I use the old style Koralias (2's & 3's) and every time my power goes out (storm or circuit breaker trip) they don't come back on until I stick my hand in the tank and tap the motor. So aside from the noise and wear and tear on the motor my experience would be that the old version wouldn't work at all on a timer that turns them on and off. Don't get me wrong, IMO for the price they are the best powerheads on the market and I will continue to buy them.