PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a 180G

Jesse_T
02/16/2010, 07:36 PM
Hello all, i am just starting out in this hobby but have been studying everyday. I came to the question of lighting and began searching the web hoping to get answers but as usual came up with conflicting info. I started out searching to find out if i could use T5 only and found the Grim Reefers T5 Q&A thread. After reading alot of posts here i thought i better just register and personalize my journey :D

Once i have all the necessary equipment i will create a tank journal so others can see the progress of a noob haha. Anyhow, i recently bought a 180 (6'x2'x2') that has an island overflow box for lack of better words, it is dead center in the tank, and i hope a very common tank so i can get the best answers.

First off as the title states, what lighting would you use?, i would like to have some soft corals and a wide variety of SPS at different levels. I figure the live rock will encircle the overflow and run along the back wall of the tank since the rear will be against a wall in the house. Can you guys/gals please add links to the lighting for purchase or name the lights by brand.

I also would like to use a sump/refugium, maybe 70Gs? and already have an Iwaki RLT40-115 for a return, is that good enough? And lastly what skimmer and calcium reactor would you all recommend? I have a regulator and co2 tank already.

Thanks to all who read this long first post, and double thanks to all who rip my idea to shreds and give me insight. Thanks all, glad i found RC. Jesse T. Portland OR.

EDIT-----forgot to add that im not worrying about the price of items yet, i was into planted fresh water tanks for a long time and learned that buying cheap items or cutting corners makes you wind up with a closet full of crap no one wants after you finally realize its junk and upgrade. Better to get what you want in the end. :D