PDA

View Full Version : Browned out Pearlberry

jsousa
02/16/2010, 08:28 PM
Has anyone had success bringing back SPS from brown out? I have a number of Pearlberry frags right now that are brown and brown/green in color. I just put them under 2 250W 20K Radiums with 2 80w T5 supplements. It's been about 3 days. I add amino acid, feed either Reef Snow or Microvore everyday and keep the water pretty stable with some excellent parameters. I also feed my fish mysis and Formula 1 or 2 everyday. Their polyps of these frags are showing now. Can I expect these frags to color back up if I keep it up and ,if so, how long would it take?

t4zalews
02/16/2010, 08:40 PM
I had a little bought with red bugs...my pearlberry is an ugly dark green/brown color. I treated with inteceptor and now the polyps are starting to come back out on it. I hope it does come back...beautiful coral. I'm also making sure that I keep my phosphates down...btw...feed your fish and you have free reef snow. (its poop)

I'd suggest keeping parameters stable, phosphate down and just give it time. The best success I've had with coral color coming back is to NOT move it. Just leave it in the same place and give it time to come back around. Trying to much and moving it around will only stress it out more. I wouldnt expect the coral color to come back right away...I'd say just by week to week to see if it's getting better.

I took pictures of the coral every week so I could compare/contrast on how well the coral was coming back. Unfortunately I deleted this pics so I can't show you them. I'd say you're looking at more than a month for color restoration

tibob32
02/16/2010, 09:26 PM
IME it takes a little over a month for SPS in general to color back up

soulsigma
02/16/2010, 09:55 PM
es they color back-up from what I am experiencing, you have to leave them alone and let them adjust, it's been a four month process for me but now I am begining to see color and growth:bounce1:

jbanks
02/16/2010, 10:18 PM
My two frags did not turn brown.. The both turned a very light color and lost their blue tips.. I'm taking it slowly hoping they will color back up. My tank is still young at 8 months old..

jsousa
02/16/2010, 11:34 PM
I had a little bought with red bugs...my pearlberry is an ugly dark green/brown color. I treated with inteceptor and now the polyps are starting to come back out on it. I hope it does come back...beautiful coral. I'm also making sure that I keep my phosphates down...btw...feed your fish and you have free reef snow. (its poop)

I'd suggest keeping parameters stable, phosphate down and just give it time. The best success I've had with coral color coming back is to NOT move it. Just leave it in the same place and give it time to come back around. Trying to much and moving it around will only stress it out more. I wouldnt expect the coral color to come back right away...I'd say just by week to week to see if it's getting better.

I took pictures of the coral every week so I could compare/contrast on how well the coral was coming back. Unfortunately I deleted this pics so I can't show you them. I'd say you're looking at more than a month for color restoration

When you say "feed your fish and you have free reef snow. (its poop)" are you saying that's bad or good?

sedor
02/16/2010, 11:40 PM
Hes saying that reef snow is unnecessary, which I tend to agree with. Not that the product doesn't have its place, but I personally believe coral foods in a tank with fish aren't needed because the corals feed primarily on your fish's poop.

jsousa
02/17/2010, 08:04 AM
Interesting. Do you guys not feed any foods to your corals or do you just rely on fish food and excretes? My overall regimen consists of weekly feedings to LPS of Cyclopeeze, Rod’s and Mysis as well as Coral Vibrance to my SPS. During the week, I alternate a squirt or 2 of Reef Snow and Microvore. Any feelings on Microvore?

How do you guys feel about the Reef Nutrition series of foods...Oyster Feast, Roti Feast, etc.? Would you consider them unnecessary?

Also, do you add Amino acids, what brand and what dosage?

JAG107
02/17/2010, 07:01 PM
I noticed nothing from using the WM aminos (used 3 bottles in the recommended amount), but I feed twice weekly with Oyster Feast, this stuff is great! The fish get cyclops, pe mysis, and emerald cubes on a rotation.

reefsic
02/18/2010, 11:42 PM
I've had numerous digi's go from dark brown to pastel purple, deep purple and reddish-orange! I running on full blown Zeovit with Brightwell AA, Iron, Iodine and feed a mix of Oysterfeast, Phytofeast, Cyclopeeze & Rotifers twice a month.