PDA

View Full Version : Overlflow and Close Loop for 29 gallon

WildFoxMedia
02/17/2010, 01:16 AM
I used to be a member here a few years ago when I still had an 85 gallon reef. The back pane of glass shattered while I was trying to drill a bulkhead and I ended up giving up the hobby.

Now, im going to dip my toe back in the water so to speak. I had an old 29 gallon tall laying around that I had previously used as a sump for the 85. I'd like to get this up and running, but I have a question or two regarding water circulation.

Aside from drilling bulkheads with something like glass-holes.com, what is the recommended way of running an overflow to a sump? I seem to recall plexiglass/acrylic hang on back jobbies that used something like capillary action to pull water in but they seemed prone to error. Im not against drilling, but from past history, it certainly hasn't been good to me.

I was also looking around and saw what I assume is an old post on Melevsreef.com about a closed loop on his 29 gallon using a SCWD on the return. Now aside from the fact that it doesnt deal at all with a sump, is the design for his system: http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html safe? The small holes in the inlet worry me a little bit.

Thanks

muttley000
02/17/2010, 04:58 AM
I am setting up a 29 and also plan on using Melev's closed loop design. I do not see any worries in the design, and it seems to have served him very well without problem. I also feel by reading his website and posts he would have explained and modified any problems (he gives clear instruction on the need to prime the pump) I drilled and installed a gl*******s 1500 kit a couple of weekends ago and it went very smoothly. I went this route because water on my wife's carpet is absolutly not an option. I wouldn't be afraid to drill, it is exponetially safer than a over the top overflow in my opinion.

WildFoxMedia
02/17/2010, 05:42 PM
On the tank you drilled, what did you do for the return? Did it just come over the top, or did you drill a 2nd bulkhead for a return line?

muttley000
02/18/2010, 04:48 AM
I went over the top.