PDA

View Full Version : feeding with Plankton...?

keezdiver
02/17/2010, 08:51 AM
so i have access to the ocean and a boat.

i also have a plankton net to tow behind the boat.

anyone ever feed fish, inverts and corals/anemones with actual plankton?

only downside i can think of would be overloading the system (filter) with small organic material.

looking to see if i can find a filter that will allow only "big" plankton for my smaller fish.

IslandCrow
02/17/2010, 09:45 AM
I've heard of many people doing this. I know Paul B does, though I believe he just overturns rocks to find his plankton. I've never had the equipment or been industrious enough to do it myself, though I would occasionally pick some plankton off the seaweed and feed that to my tank. There was actually a thread on this quite some time ago, but I'm afraid I no longer have the link. It had some good ideas for DIY plankton nets, but you can also buy them. I believe Florida Aqua Farms sells different size nets, so you may want to check there. If not, try Aquatic Ecosystems. Anyway, this sounds like a great idea to me if you can do it. Live food is always better, and although I wouldn't drop a pound of plankton into my tank all at once, I think you'll be hard pressed to overload your system with live plankton.

keezdiver
02/17/2010, 12:16 PM
well i already have the net....i think its a 250 microns.

its pretty small and catches alot of stuff. i have a small filter laying around that is 500microns, so i may try the net and then strain it through the filter...try to weed out the REALLY little stuff.

joeychitwood
02/19/2010, 11:06 AM
Rest in peace, keezdiver. (Killed in a car crash yesterday.)

http://www.justnews.com/traffic/22605665/detail.html

IslandCrow
02/19/2010, 12:16 PM
Man, that's horrible!

guinness0514
02/19/2010, 02:11 PM
This is terrible... Thoughts and prayers with him and his family

Jstdv8
02/19/2010, 02:34 PM
oh my goodness.
Rest in Peace reef brother