PDA

View Full Version : Quick Answer Please - Need Hole Size Advice for Overflow/Return

Perched Urchin
02/17/2010, 10:11 AM
Hi,
Need some quick help.
I have a 24x24x25 60G tank on order right now from DSA. For overflow, I am having them drill 2 holes on either side, high on the back and I will use upturned PVC elbows with strainers. For return, I am having a single hole drilled high and dead center.
Just talked with them and they are planning on drilling the holes 1 3/4", which would accomodate a 1" bulkhead.
I believe the overflows are probably sufficient, as a full-bore 1" hole will care some 700gph, but from a return perspective, is a single 1" bulkhead enough? Should I have them drill larger for the return or all three even?
Thanks!

Hal
02/17/2010, 11:31 AM
For a 60 gal tank a 1" return should be fine. You probably don't want to flow more than 700gph due to noise issues. Keep in mind that you don't have to use 1" plumbing all the way. You could use 1.5" pipes all the way up to the bulkhead, but frankly that's probably overkill.

Do you really want the return to be in the backwall? When you have a power outage the tank will drain through the return down to whatever level you have the hole. Most people put their return over the top or on a standpipe up through the bottom of the tank.

Your choice of upturned elbows with strainers will limit your ability to reduce noise from your drains. Is this your first tank? Trust me that you'll want to run a Durso, Stockman, or Herbie setup to reduce noise. See here for a description of the Herbie:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344892&highlight=ultra-quiet

Perched Urchin
02/17/2010, 02:21 PM
Hal,
Thanks for the response.
Regarding the return and overflow design, my sump will be able to handle the volume of water that would drain in the even of a power failure.
Also, my sump is remote, in an unfinished portion of my basement, which should minimize noise concerns.

rbnice1
02/17/2010, 02:40 PM
Personally I would do 2 1.5 inch draines if you are going to do a 1 inch return.

Hal
02/18/2010, 12:16 AM
Hal,
Thanks for the response.
Regarding the return and overflow design, my sump will be able to handle the volume of water that would drain in the even of a power failure.
Also, my sump is remote, in an unfinished portion of my basement, which should minimize noise concerns.
It's the noise from your drains where the water/air enters the drain (in your tank) that I'm worried about.