PDA

View Full Version : Which Peristaltic Pump do you use on your CA RX?

kvosstra
02/17/2010, 01:30 PM
As title says, which pump do you use?

I'm tired of the needle valve, its just a bit too imprecise for me. At some point, the small relative cost of a good peri pump will help me not worry about the amount of water I have pushing through my reactor - so...

(1) what pump do you use?
(2) What schedule do you use them? 24/7 or on another schedule?

Factors to consider:
1. Correct flow - I probably want flow from 25-250 ml/min
2. noise - needs to be silent.
3. ease of replacement tubing - stuff goes bad, saltwater is not nice to pumps.
4. Ease of programming correct flow - digital or otherwise...

Thanks for your input.

Best,
-Kyle

kvosstra
02/17/2010, 05:54 PM
Some folks out there have to use one...I cant be the only one tire of my maxi-jet and needle valve...

ReefingBuddha
02/17/2010, 08:04 PM
get yourself a litermeter III. I used variable speed peristaltic pumps in the past all they just crapped out after a few months. The problem with the fixed speed is that you are stuck with a flow rate (can be slightly altered by adjusting intake/output pipe diameters).

The litermeter III is great and expandable for 2 extra pumps. Not the cheapest option but works great for me. I currently have mine running 24/7. It dispenses the total liquid amount I want dispensed in 24 hours in 150 increments.

kvosstra
02/17/2010, 09:01 PM
Hmm - The problem I see with the LM III - is that it doses in those 150 increments, that's, in my mind, not great for the pH stability in the reactor.

Which Peristaltic pumps did you use in the past? I was considering something like the cole parmer line of pumps.

Cost is not a huge issue, I figure a few hundred is small potatoes compared to losing 10K in livestock from a stuck pump or other issue.

fishez4alivin
02/18/2010, 03:35 AM
I used this with my Schuran, was dead silent, and ran flawlessly...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Parmer-Gear-Pump-Drive-and-Gear-Pump-Controller_W0QQitemZ110487954551QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item19b9986477

Get the Easy Loader 2 head for it, and you will be very happy. I picked one up on Ebay that was brand new for 100 bucks, the head cost another 40. Just need to keep an eye out for one. Ask over at BAR, I know Ian uses one, as well as few others.

kvosstra
02/18/2010, 06:09 AM
Perfect - Ill ask over at BAR. Thanks for the info.

noobtothereef
02/18/2010, 06:54 AM
the litermeters are rediculous in price, for that much you can buy a neptune 3 pro controller and controll a dosing pump, pumps all kinds of crap ,

Dyraxe
02/18/2010, 09:29 AM
Forgive me but what is BAR? bay area reefers?

I just bought a Schuran 2 and need a dosing pump as well. What is the model # of the Cole Parmer pump and head?

I have a heavy stock tank with about 250g total water volume.

MSHUR
02/18/2010, 10:31 AM
I used this with my Schuran, was dead silent, and ran flawlessly...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Parmer-Gear-Pump-Drive-and-Gear-Pump-Controller_W0QQitemZ110487954551QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item19b9986477

Get the Easy Loader 2 head for it, and you will be very happy. I picked one up on Ebay that was brand new for 100 bucks, the head cost another 40. Just need to keep an eye out for one. Ask over at BAR, I know Ian uses one, as well as few others.

+++1

For CARX you need a good, relaible peri pump that can run 24/7

psykobowler
02/18/2010, 12:39 PM
My intake is connected to an Aquaclear 30 powerhead adjusted for speed.

fishez4alivin
02/18/2010, 05:43 PM
Here is what I would get, if you hunt the stuff down, it can be purchased for very little. Best deal I found on Ebay today is this combo. This is the very pump and pumphead I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-Pump-Controller-Pump-Heads_W0QQitemZ370326869370QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563933957a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-77202-60-Easy-Load-II-Peristaltic-Pump-Head_W0QQitemZ390157793608QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item5ad7377948

Basically you want a pump that is variable speed, that can do 6-600 rpms and you want an Easy loader 2 pumphead. Depending on the size of tubing, will determine how much water volume it will pump. Once you figure out that, you are going to be worry free with that part of your CaRx setup.

tkeracer619
02/18/2010, 07:12 PM
I have a cole parmer masterflex digital peristaltic pump with easy load heads. Worth every penny. Has been turning non stop for 2 years.

the litermeters are rediculous in price, for that much you can buy a neptune 3 pro controller and controll a dosing pump, pumps all kinds of crap ,

I would rather have a medical grade pump. Much more reliable.

rsaha
02/18/2010, 07:32 PM
I've used a Rabbit peristaltic pump for topoff/kalk reactor for years and it's never given me a bit of trouble.

kvosstra
02/18/2010, 09:23 PM

well, of course I already have the ACIII Pro...

My intake is connected to an Aquaclear 30 powerhead adjusted for speed.

Understood - this is the economic way to run a CA RX, this is also how I do it...I simply want to have something much more reliable.

Here is what I would get, if you hunt the stuff down, it can be purchased for very little. Best deal I found on Ebay today is this combo. This is the very pump and pumphead I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-Pump-...item563933957a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-77202...item5ad7377948

Basically you want a pump that is variable speed, that can do 6-600 rpms and you want an Easy loader 2 pumphead. Depending on the size of tubing, will determine how much water volume it will pump. Once you figure out that, you are going to be worry free with that part of your CaRx setup.
I have a cole parmer masterflex digital peristaltic pump with easy load heads. Worth every penny. Has been turning non stop for 2 years.

Thanks guys! That's the info I was looking for! I'm excited to get a new toy for the tank! And, it should be much more reliable than the stupid maxijet!

Best,
-Kyle

tkeracer619
02/18/2010, 09:28 PM
One thing you probably wont have to do but should do. Is pull out the main bearings in the heads and go down to your local bearing supply house to match some up for you. Usually around $3 each or you can get some nice Japanese ones for $8 each.

It will probably make them quieter and makes the rollers turn smoother. The motors are completely rebuildable.

Dyraxe
02/18/2010, 10:34 PM
How far away will these pumps suck water up from? How far can they push water to? Will it suck up water up to 10 feet high? I want to put a long tube in the sump and drawl in the water to the pump in my garage. Run it through the CA RX and push it back to the tank.