PDA

View Full Version : Weird Water Parameters

Jacuzzi
02/17/2010, 03:01 PM
So I have been running a 40 gallon breeder for about 8months and only tested the water parameters a few times during the cycle. Then life happened and I have not had time to test them for many months. My buddy gave me a API test kit thats older but I thought I would give it a try to see my parameters. So tested them and found some weird readings.:eek1:
PH- 8.7-8.8
Salinity- 1.024
Amonnia- 25ppm
Ca-440
Nitrite- 40ppm
Nitrate-0
Temp- 76
Now I am at work and these are written down at home so I may have mixed up Nitrate and nitrite. I then tested the PH on the ocean water I buy at LFS and the PH=8. Thses readings worried me so I did a 5 gallon water change and will do another today. Its a tru Vu aquasystem so I also vaccumed out the back chambers and found alot of debris that I cleaned out. Tank has 50 pounds of LR and I do weekly 5 gallon changes, top off daily, keep a stable temp st 76 and have halides on 6 hours a day and T5's on 12 hours both on timers. Inhabitants are lawnmower blenny and 6 line a few zoas and mushrooms and some frags of SPS all doing well. Basic CUC wit hermits and snails. I also only feed nori about three times a week but i put a large chunk that my blenny eats for a couple days. Should i be worried about these readings? If so what should I do? thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2010, 03:31 PM
I expect you did swap nitrite and nitrate, and I also am certain that, unless you are dosing limewater, the pH reading is testing error. I also think the ammonia reading is likely error, if this is an established tank with a fish in it. They would not survive 25 ppm ammonia.

Shane Hoffman
02/17/2010, 03:44 PM
I expect you did swap nitrite and nitrate, and I also am certain that, unless you are dosing limewater, the pH reading is testing error. I also think the ammonia reading is likely error, if this is an established tank with a fish in it. They would not survive 25 ppm ammonia.

+1

I would get a new test kit. Your fish should show signs of serious distress if amonia is truly at 25ppm.

Jacuzzi
02/17/2010, 03:54 PM
Ok I will get a new kit would it make a difference if it were at .25 PPM? I could be remembering wrong