PDA

View Full Version : Amount of live stock to start

tone0026
02/17/2010, 05:34 PM
I have a 12 gallon 36 x 8.5 length nano with 20lbs of live rock with good flow and a tunze nano skimmer which is working very well. Right now I'm planning ahead. Question is can i add this list all at once when the cycle is over?

3 cerith snails
3 astrea snails
5 mexican turbo snails
3 peppermint shrimp
1 sally light foot crab
2 feather dusters
2-3 hairy mushrooms
about 30 sand polyps
some yellow polyps

I have no problem regarding patience in adding live stock but don't want to pay 25-30 dollars in shipping for a little bit of stuff. Thanks

Ghetto Man
02/17/2010, 05:39 PM
I think you'll be fine. If you're worried that the list you have is rushing it, you're in the right mindset.

jenjen
02/17/2010, 05:51 PM
I would steer clear of the mexican turbo's - they will likely be a little large for a 12g. Maybe consider some Nassarius snails instead? They're very entertaining, and help keep the sandbed stirred.

Also, large feather dusters are filter feeders and don't usually do well in a new system. You might consider a rock with a bunch of small feather dusters instead, or hold off on this selection until later.

As for adding them all at once, I agree that you're fine.

chino402
02/17/2010, 05:53 PM
mexican turbo snails are too big for nano imo... i would go with smaller kind of snails...

tone0026
02/18/2010, 07:11 AM
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the info on the turbos and dusters. I'm still revising the list...

tone0026
02/18/2010, 07:16 AM
How about pipe organ coral. How hard are they to keep? I got a 65watt pc, the tank is very shallow about 9 inches deep.

jenjen
02/18/2010, 11:53 AM
I think Pipe Organ likes higher light.

I have PC's over my 55gal and have had success so far with Clove polyps, Star polyps, Zoa's and a toadstool leather.

Here's a reference site for coral care which can give you a starting point for many types of coral:

http://www.asira.org/caresheets

Sk8r
02/18/2010, 12:23 PM
Watch the sally: it can start munching corals as it grows. Not to mention fish.
A pair of highfin red-stripe gobies would be a nice pair of fish for you. Maybe a tailspot blenny.

tone0026
02/18/2010, 01:01 PM
OK, pipe organ off the list. Nice website JenJen I'll bookmark it for reference.

Sk8r thats exactly what I am planning to put in a pair of high fin red-stripe gobies. I'm planning three but I havent decided on the third fish.
I put fine sand in the tank and I'm starting to wonder if it was a good choice I like the look of it but if I don't control my flow it gets everywhere. I think I should stay away from any fish that stirs up a lot of sand.
Whats the chance on the sally going that route? I can scratch him off the list. I do want a crab, any suggestions?
Still got some time before placing the order so I will continue to fine tune it.