PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor vs Randys for a large new tank

DrHarryLopez
02/18/2010, 07:18 PM
Hi all
I just bought a 220 gal and plan to upgrade from my 90 gal.
I currently use Randys two part for my Calcium and Alk in my 90.
At a total volume of ~300 gal would Randys two part work or should I start to think about a Ca Reactor?
I'm going to transfer my animals from the 90, 50% softies, 30% LPS, 10% SPS, and 6 fish.

bertoni
02/18/2010, 08:33 PM
The two-part will work in any size tank, but a calcium reactor might be a bit cheaper, I suppose. In addition, the calcium reactor won't increase salinity, although it might tend to lower the pH somewhat.

A dosing pump can add the 2-part automatically, if convenience is an issue.

Chris27
02/18/2010, 10:55 PM
Once dialed in, a CaRx is the way to go for a high demand tank...at least from a ease of use / affordable standpoint. I personally use a kalk reactor with a large tank, but it's a softy/lps tank, so the Ca demand just isn't that great. I fill the kalk reactor with powder every few weeks, and the calcium and alk are rock solid, so much that I only test 2-3 times per / month vs. almost daily when I was manually dosing TM Calcium and Mag.

JGYEAR
02/19/2010, 06:18 AM
I agree with Chris27 once dailed in the Calcium reactor is going to be the most affordable and easiest to use. Yoc would only use a little two part every now and then to correct the Cal and Alk after testing say twice a month as I do in my 300 gallon tolal volume system. A calcium reactor is only meant to maintain the levels not increase them that with the two part is for.

DrHarryLopez
02/19/2010, 05:16 PM
Cools thanks guys

bertoni
02/19/2010, 05:26 PM
You're welcome!