PDA

View Full Version : Sixline Wrasse

AGM1
02/18/2010, 10:55 PM
Hi,

I have a question about the Sixline Wrasse. I know they can be agressive, but how would they do in a 60x24x18 tank with other fish such as ocellaris, purplefire fish, flame angel, royal gramma, yellow tang, chromis, and red mandarin?

Also, many sites say they eat flatworms, is this just ocassional behaviour or is it fairly common for them to do so?

FirstContact
02/18/2010, 11:19 PM
I have not read that six line wrasses were aggressive. They are actually supposed to be reef safe. I had one in my tank, buit unfortunately it jumped one day when I had the egg crate off.

jason12345
02/18/2010, 11:39 PM
it would compete with the red mandarin for pods.

sir_dudeguy
02/18/2010, 11:41 PM
I've heard countless times that they're aggressive, BUT..... having had FOUR of them over my time in reefing, i've NEVER seen so much as a nip coming from them towards another fish. I wouldnt worry about them at all being agressive in a tank that large. The only problem i possibly see is that you've got a manderin.... Wrasses eat the same thing that manderins do, but way more actively. All mine would swim through the rock all day long picking off pods, but they're usually pretty quick moving at doing so. Usually dont sit still. So you might have to dose some pods for the manderin, but then again...big tank so you might not have to.

yes, they're reef safe, sometimes a little nippy towards inverts so-they-say, but again, never saw that from any of mine.

I see no problem with one in your tank. Awesome fish, and could easily become your favorite as it did mine (although i didnt even like it before someone gave me one lol. Pictures dont do justice at all)

lordofthereef
02/19/2010, 01:14 AM
Their aggression I think is hit or miss. Same with them eating flatworms. I got one and it was neither aggressive nor sis it really eat flatworms. In that size of a tank I don't think I would really worry.

warnutts
02/19/2010, 05:38 AM
my sixline is the most peaceful fish in my tank right now. love the way he seems and really hardy! Never seen any type of aggression from him.

tibob32
02/19/2010, 06:34 AM
Mine bullies new fishes, but leaves them alone after a couple of days

kv2wr1
02/19/2010, 08:55 AM
Mine gets alone with my two clowns just fine, but he is a youngster still and not fully grown. He spends most of the day just swimming around hunting pods and the clowns don't mind him. If fact at night, they all sleep together in the nooks and crannies of the live rock. :)

JDL
02/19/2010, 09:51 AM
my sixline has killed 4 firefish gobies and 2 mandarins. I even blame him for killing my arrow crabs. I hate him and wish i could catch him.
but he doesnt bother my clowns or bangaii

sminker
02/19/2010, 10:28 AM
love mine, very peaceful and cleans corals.

Jason S
02/19/2010, 01:24 PM
Mine has a bark that is much worse than his bite. He will act tough until the other fish fight back and then back off. He even tries to fight himself in the reflection on the glass. I think he is even prettier when he flairs his fins though, so I do not mind.

I have never seen him attack anything seriously in the tank, and he was the first fish in it. The Tomini tang rules the roost in my tank.

I did have one many years ago that killed a Royal Gramma, sort of. He would pester him so much that the Gramma would dart away from him, and apparently he was too close to the surface one day when he darted. I found him dried up on the tank divider the next day:(

All in all though, they can be hit or miss, but I would go for it.

usefulidiot213
02/19/2010, 05:13 PM
Mine is real chill.. Have him in a 60x18x18.. Doesn't bother anybody.. Just cruises around all day looking for treasures..

maroonman
02/19/2010, 05:16 PM
My 6 line is in a 180.. and he has attacked a mandarin I tried to keep..( and had to take out ) cause of the 6 line. And he gave my Royal Gram. a fit for the first 3-4 days .. then left him alone. Kinda wish i could catch him at this point.