PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

Bru
02/19/2010, 05:03 PM
I have had my 20gL Reef set up for just about 2 months. I was looking to get advise on filtering methods. I do plan on setting up a Sump/Refug in a month however until then what would you all recommend as far as filtering. I am using a HOB Aqueon 30 Filter wondering if that is nessessary. Also have a Koralia for water movement and a Tunze 9002 Skimmer. Just about 40 pounds of live rock as well. Any imput is great thank you so much in advance

Zebodog
02/19/2010, 05:04 PM
With that much LR and the Tunze 9002, you don't need the Aqueon. Dump out the filter material and throw some chaeto in there.

IslandCrow
02/19/2010, 05:15 PM
Agreed. The filter is unnecessary and may even be counterproductive. Some people will turn them into sort of a mini refugium as Zebodog suggested. If you only have one powerhead, I'd recommend getting a second so the water flow in your tank is not entirely laminar. With fish only, it's not as big a deal, but it will definitely be an issue if you start keeping corals.

Bru
02/19/2010, 05:22 PM
With that much LR and the Tunze 9002, you don't need the Aqueon. Dump out the filter material and throw some chaeto in there. Okay thanks a bunch Zebodog i would need some type of light on the Chaeto besides that anything else i should do to the HOB?

Agreed. The filter is unnecessary and may even be counterproductive. Some people will turn them into sort of a mini refugium as Zebodog suggested. If you only have one powerhead, I'd recommend getting a second so the water flow in your tank is not entirely laminar. With fish only, it's not as big a deal, but it will definitely be an issue if you start keeping corals.

Thanks for the info IslandCrow! I have a Korlia nano which is creating alot of water movement however if i turn the hob into a mini fuge what else would be needed for instance sand in the hob? live rock, a catch to stop anything from leaving the hob? etc