PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope for this rhizo?

GoingPostal
02/19/2010, 06:11 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/GoingPostalphotos/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/GoingPostalphotos/IMG_0210.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics, I don't have a lot of extra room in my nano and figured it would be happiest in the back with lower flow and light. Basically this rhizo was a friends, it wasn't in great shape when they got it, the seller didn't show currect pics and it was receded with algea growing over the rim and rather sad looking.

It greatly improved but never looked 100% or felt very sticky, tank got neglected and most corals died or look terrible like this one, they finally broke down the tank and brought everything over to me. We are talking months where this coral has looked basically like this, I am honestly amazed it has hung on this long.

It's been in my tank about 5 days, what's left of the mouth never closes and I have no idea if it's actually still capable of eating or not. I've been feeding tiny items, reef chili, cyclopeeze, small mysis to my collection but haven't really noticed this one attempting to eat any. Is it beyond hope? It does appear to have more going on in the middle, originally it looked like there was no insides, just fleshed draped over the skeleton.

stunreefer
02/22/2010, 10:31 AM
There's almost always a chance with these guys, but based on it's current condition I'm really leaning towards a big almost :(

I would keep doing exactly what you've been doing (small foods, often).

Was their water quality really bad, or did they not feed it at all? I'm just trying to rule out the fact of infection/disease... did they dip it when they first got it?

GoingPostal
02/22/2010, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking it was mostly water quality, I also got a receded scoly, 3 sickly heads left on what was a 150+ polyp acan colony, etc. A few hardy corals made it through fine but a lot died. I don't think it was fed properly either, at first he was feeding whole krill, even when it was in bad shape, I talked him into feeding smaller items and I think once it started going downhill badly they lost interest in it. It still pretty much looks like the pic, I can't tell if it's getting better or worse. I am almost positive they didn't dip it upon arrival.