PDA

View Full Version : Cynobacteria Treatment

Elmac1
02/20/2010, 12:45 PM
My LFS recommeded using erythromycin (aka Maracyn - an antibotic) to eliminate cynobacteria. Does this cause any problems with softies, LPS or SPS?

Any other / additional ideas for treatment?

Mariner
02/20/2010, 12:57 PM
Maracyn should be a last resort choice. It'll kill cyanobacteria alright, but will also probably wipe out all the good bacteria in your system.
The easiest way to rid your tank of cyano in the short term is simply to turn off your lights for three days. It will disappear and it won't come back for a good long while. However this doesn't deal with underlying cause of cyano, which is excess nutrient (esp. phosphates) in the water column. You can take steps to get this under control. (1) Limit nutrient import (less feeding) (2) Increase nutrient export (skimming, GFO, carbon, macro algae in a refugium, etc.).
HTH,
Mariner

overklok
02/20/2010, 01:24 PM
Crank up the circulation in the aquarium also.

syrinx
02/20/2010, 01:25 PM
+1 on everything other than maracyn wiping out all the bacteria. While I would never use it for cyno-as it is a treatment and not a cure, as stated above. I have used it over many years with no problems to the biological filtration-but for its intended purpose and at recommended dosages.